Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

If Jaaskelainen has been our best ever keeper who has been the second best?

+9
wanderlust
boltonbonce
okocha
Norpig
xmiles
Natasha Whittam
sunlight
Whitesince63
wessy
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 7]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:I think you are taking this too literally Sluffy, it's all subjective but all you can do is look at their respective records in their eras and judge from that. Not sure how you can say someone like Matthews would be judged as better just because they play now and Hopkinson probably couldn't?

If you say so.

Seems black and white to me.

If you are deemed good enough you play, if you aren't you don't.

Part of being good enough is your physicality - can you physically do the things you are required to do to get in the team.

If you physically can't pass that criteria you don't get picked and those that do will get picked.

I might be the world's best four foot high keeper the world has ever seen but I would never be picked for Bolton in Hopkinson's day - he would.

Hopkinson might have been the world's best ever 5ft 8 inch goalie but he would not get picked for Bolton in the current era and the likes of Matthews would and has.

If Matthews can get in the team currently and Hopkinson physically couldn't then who by definition is the better keeper of the two - it can't possibly the one who can't physically get in the team can it?

Anyway I've made my point.

I guess people can either see it, or not!

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Norpig wrote:I highly doubt Doidge would have bought a house in the area if he or his agent had even the smallest inkling he wouldn't be signed permanently in January.
I know that football players are not all financially astute but if they hadn't the slightest inkling that the money might not be there in January, they must have been the dimmest dimwits in Dimland. How many clues did they need?

Btw did Doidge buy a house or did he just look around?

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy wrote:

Doidge was definitely going to be bought - there would have been a contract signed to the effect.

He was in no different position to the one Matthews was in at the time.

Clearly Eddie Davies was going to be the backstop position to fund the completion of the transfers if need be but sadly he unexpectedly died just a few weeks after the initial deals were struck.

The transfers were to be completed on the 1st January but clearly there were no monies to do so but there was a payment due within a week or so from the EFL and Anderson clearly let both clubs be aware that that was the means of how the deals would be concluded - indeed Vince himself even said initially that it wasn't an issue to wait whilst things were sorted.

However just a couple of days later he went public blasting Anderson - so something obviously changed in those two or three days!

The weird thing that came out at that time was Vince saying he was producing the T-shirts 'No Ken do' with all proceeds going to the BWFC Supporters Trust???

Why?

For what reason?

No smoke without fire.

It seems a completely random thing to do unless of course there had been some contact between the two leading up to his announcement.

The net result was that Norwich and the Matthews deal went smoothly and Vince was paid the wages for Doidge from the EFL payment but by that time had hoicked Doidge back from the £1m deal only to sell him at a half million loss at the end of the season to Hibs.

All seems rather strange when both parties Anderson and Vince knew they were contractually obliged to the transfer and both knew that no matter what the money would be paid with it being a 'footballing creditor' requirement just a week or so later than planned from the scheduled EFL payment.

Seems to me someone whispered in to Vince's ear.

I wonder who and what their reasons might have been?

Answers on a postcard.
Would Eddie really have coughed up yet again, Sluffy? He'd gone the extra mile time without number but I'm not sure he would have done on this occasion, if he had still been alive.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:When you rank people you do it in order, best first, next best second and so on - yes?

Thanks for clearing that up, I had no idea that's how it works.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Ten Bobsworth wrote:Would Eddie really have coughed up yet again, Sluffy? He'd gone the extra mile time without number but I'm not sure he would have done on this occasion, if he had still been alive.

I don't know obviously but there clearly had been some help from Eddie to Anderson in the past and when we signed Doidge they both must have known what the clubs financial position was at the time.

Eddie had continually bailed the club out and I guess the question would have been would he had not done so again?

Clearly his Trust (EDT) and his family have honoured his legacy of the club by simply not liquidating it to get their money back but rather deferring when they are likely to get it back by keeping the club alive and securing the debt on the clubs new owners instead.

Maybe things had gone sour between the two by then but as I say they both would have known what the financial position of the club was and my view fwiw is that I believe Eddie would have put his hand in his pocket once more if he had to do.

The irony of all this though is that Vince would have been paid directly by the EFL themselves from the payment scheduled to all clubs just a week or so after the original settlement between Bolton and FGR was due and as it happens there wasn't actually a need at that time (maybe a few weeks down the line though there might well of been!) for Eddie to put his money in at all!

All water under the bridge now, Anderson has gone, the club still exists thanks largely to FV wanting it to be and Eddie's legacy of the millions he put into it and his family still not taken it all out yet - even though they could and Doidge, through no fault of his own, turning up trumps for himself up in Scotland.

The stink if any was why did Vince do a U-turn (which was quite clearly not necessary - the money was definitely going to be there just a week later) and how and why did the ST's name suddenly crop up for no apparent reason slap bang in the middle of his U-turn?

Time to move on though really.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
I know that football players are not all financially astute but if they hadn't the slightest inkling that the money might not be there in January, they must have been the dimmest dimwits in Dimland. How many clues did they need?

Btw did Doidge buy a house or did he just look around?
As far as i remember yes he had bought a house.

T.R.O.Y. wrote:

All I'm asking is - how do you know that your version of what was agreed in the deal vs FGR's version is the accurate one?

Your version - Bolton agreed to pay on the condition they got investment - which never came so couldn't Doidge 'transfer' cancelled, presumably as agreed at the outset in a situation of no investment.

Vince's version - Bolton failed to make agreed payments for Doidge.

Unsure if you missed this one Bob?

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

T.R.O.Y. wrote:

Unsure if you missed this one Bob?
Not a condition, just the basic fact that BWFC was going into admin without new money and if Vince and Doidge's agent hadn't cottoned on to that they were both numpties.

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Norpig wrote:
As far as i remember yes he had bought a house.
If he did he should have been asking questions of his agent for any losses incurred.

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
Not a condition, just the basic fact that BWFC was going into admin without new money and if Vince and Doidge's agent hadn't cottoned on to that they were both numpties.

So you blame FGR, because they sold knowing that Bolton were going into admin and would never be able to fulfill the agreed payments?

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy wrote:

I don't know obviously but there clearly had been some help from Eddie to Anderson in the past and when we signed Doidge they both must have known what the clubs financial position was at the time.

Eddie had continually bailed the club out and I guess the question would have been would he had not done so again?

Clearly his Trust (EDT) and his family have honoured his legacy of the club by simply not liquidating it to get their money back but rather deferring when they are likely to get it back by keeping the club alive and securing the debt on the clubs new owners instead.

Maybe things had gone sour between the two by then but as I say they both would have known what the financial position of the club was and my view fwiw is that I believe Eddie would have put his hand in his pocket once more if he had to do.

The irony of all this though is that Vince would have been paid directly by the EFL themselves from the payment scheduled to all clubs just a week or so after the original settlement between Bolton and FGR was due and as it happens there wasn't actually a need at that time (maybe a few weeks down the line though there might well of been!) for Eddie to put his money in at all!

All water under the bridge now, Anderson has gone, the club still exists thanks largely to FV wanting it to be and Eddie's legacy of the millions he put into it and his family still not taken it all out yet - even though they could and Doidge, through no fault of his own, turning up trumps for himself up in Scotland.

The stink if any was why did Vince do a U-turn (which was quite clearly not necessary - the money was definitely going to be there just a week later) and how and why did the ST's name suddenly crop up for no apparent reason slap bang in the middle of his U-turn?

Time to move on though really.
Eddie putting his hand in his pocket (again) wouldn't have solved the problem of the debt mountain growing at a rate of £100K per week, Sluffy. How much do you expect ED had left after he'd spent every penny he'd gained from selling Strix and more than half as much again on BWFC?

I think Vince was right to call Doidge back but it was the public slanging match with Vince playing the poor innocent victim whilst Iles and the ST stirred up as much trouble as they could muster that was just plain embarrassingly wrong.

Btw how much do you think the club lost last season? Still losing about £100K per week according to Andy Holt after he'd spent an afternoon chatting to Sharon in February.

If FGR had been promised payments they never received, does that not make them the victim here?

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

T.R.O.Y. wrote:If FGR had been promised payments they never received, does that not make them the victim here?
Wouldn't it be a good idea if every business that didn't get paid everything it was due 'on the nail' called themselves 'victims'  and went running to the media to tell them how truly awfully they had been treated and how they never had and never would do anything like that no matter what the circumstance? Poor poor Mr Vince. He must have thought that nothing like that could ever happen to someone as saintly as him.

Your point is wafer-thin if we're honest.

You now seem to accept that FGR got shafted (for want of a better word), but your issue is now them kicking off in the press about it.

Originally you said Anderson had made an agreement with FGR which all parties were clear on and that's 'just a statement of the facts'.

Claiming you know something factual when in reality you have a theory of events are not the same thing, not sure why so many on here need to be told that.

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sometimes I might take a slightly different tack, Sluffy, but you are 100% right about T.R.O.Y.

Can only imagine what Sluffy has said to you about me in private.

But on the actual topic, you can't describe your theory here as factual can you? We don't know what was agreed.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

T.R.O.Y. wrote:Can only imagine what Sluffy has said to you about me in private.

I've said nothing, why would I?

If I've got something to say, I'll say it to someone's face - and in the case of a forum like here, in public in a post.

Whatever view Bob has formed of you is from your posts on here and my comments about them.

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy wrote:

I've said nothing, why would I?

If I've got something to say, I'll say it to someone's face - and in the case of a forum like here, in public in a post.

Whatever view Bob has formed of you is from your posts on here and my comments about them.
Exactly. Deliberately, persistently, annoyingly, frustratingly obtuse seems to sum him/her up. I'll have to put him/her on ignore.

Last edited by Ten Bobsworth on Tue Aug 25 2020, 14:05; edited 2 times in total

Honestly guys, I don't want to get involved in the playground stuff.

Fact is Bob, you've made a spurious statement and can't back it up.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum