Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Will we make the play offs?

+11
Jamster26
aaron_bwfc
scottjames30
Natasha Whittam
gloswhite
observer
MartinBWFC
Boggersbelief
wanderlust
Hipster_Nebula
Michael Bolton
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Will we make the play offs? Empty Will we make the play offs? Sat Apr 06 2013, 17:21

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I really thought after the loss at Charlton it was curtains but 2 wins and Brighton, Leicester, Palace and Forest not winning any of their last two games has put us 2 points off the play offs and only 6 points off 4th place. But our away form is shocking.

How do you see it going from here? I still think we are more likely to miss out than make it to the play offs.

2Will we make the play offs? Empty Re: Will we make the play offs? Sat Apr 06 2013, 17:25

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't think we'll make it, but it looks like it'll be a heartbreaker now.

Maybe we'll miss out by 3 or 4 points.

3Will we make the play offs? Empty Re: Will we make the play offs? Sat Apr 06 2013, 17:29

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

No way of knowing how it will pan out. Main thing is that we're still in with a shout and the show rolls on for another week. Bristol City away is a potential banana skin, especially if we turn in the kind of performance we have in our last 2 games against supposedly inferior opposition.
See how we go in that one and if we're still winning, it will all come down to our "more difficult on paper" away matches at Leicester and Cardiff (who may be champions by then). It's still a helluva task and we're still dependent on others dropping points, so we'll just have to see how we go one game at a time.
This league is very unpredictable.

4Will we make the play offs? Empty Re: Will we make the play offs? Sat Apr 06 2013, 17:30

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Beat Bristol city and I'll be very confident of making it.

The Leicester game will be crucial, think we'll make it, just, along with forest.

5Will we make the play offs? Empty Re: Will we make the play offs? Sat Apr 06 2013, 17:38

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Our away record is W 3 D 7 L 10.
We still have to play Bristol, Leicester and Cardiff away.
Boro and Blackpool will both be up for it in our home games too.
To have any chance, we've got to improve especially in our away games. Not sure why Dougie doesn't adopt the home tactics for the away games - it's our best chance and couldn't do worse than we have been doing away from home.
But I'm hopeful we'll scrape in.

6Will we make the play offs? Empty Re: Will we make the play offs? Sat Apr 06 2013, 18:10

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

If we don't get into the playoffs it will be down to our awful start, if we had Dougie from the start we would likely have been well into a playoff spot right now, thanks again Owen.

7Will we make the play offs? Empty Re: Will we make the play offs? Sat Apr 06 2013, 18:22

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

MartinBWFC wrote:If we don't get into the playoffs it will be down to our awful start, if we had Dougie from the start we would likely have been well into a playoff spot right now, thanks again Owen.
Had DF joined us last year, we would still be in the EPL.

8Will we make the play offs? Empty Re: Will we make the play offs? Sat Apr 06 2013, 18:25

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

We may be ready for the playoffs, but we arent ready for the Premiership

9Will we make the play offs? Empty Re: Will we make the play offs? Sat Apr 06 2013, 18:31

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:Our away record is W 3 D 7 L 10.

Our away form is crap, and an "easy" game at bottom of the league is just the sort of game we lose.

If we can somehow manage to win at Bristol City and results go our way we could find ourselves in the top 6 this time next week. Once there I think we'd be hard to shift unless someone wins their last 4 games...which is unlikely.

I think 9 points from 12 would see us in the play-offs.

10Will we make the play offs? Empty Re: Will we make the play offs? Sat Apr 06 2013, 18:35

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If you predicted every game correctly our record would look like this.

Wins - 0

Draws - 0

Defeats - 41.

11Will we make the play offs? Empty Re: Will we make the play offs? Sat Apr 06 2013, 18:40

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think if we beat Leicester we will make it.

12Will we make the play offs? Empty Re: Will we make the play offs? Sat Apr 06 2013, 18:51

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
wanderlust wrote:Our away record is W 3 D 7 L 10.

Our away form is crap, and an "easy" game at bottom of the league is just the sort of game we lose.

If we can somehow manage to win at Bristol City and results go our way we could find ourselves in the top 6 this time next week. Once there I think we'd be hard to shift unless someone wins their last 4 games...which is unlikely.

I think 9 points from 12 would see us in the play-offs.
Hack alert.

13Will we make the play offs? Empty Re: Will we make the play offs? Sat Apr 06 2013, 18:55

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Hard to predict how this will go, 3 away games left and 2 at home, I just still think we have left it a little to late but won't be far off the play offs at the end of the season.

15 points to play for - if we can get 10 points or more then I would say we have a great chance but our away record is going to cost us I fear.

14Will we make the play offs? Empty Re: Will we make the play offs? Sat Apr 06 2013, 19:38

Jamster26

Jamster26
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I think we will, I also think we'll be facing Palace in the Play-offs, which could be very interesting.

15Will we make the play offs? Empty Re: Will we make the play offs? Sat Apr 06 2013, 20:05

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

None of Palace, Forest, Brighton, Leiecester and ourselves have easy run ins:
We have: Bristol City away, Leicester away, Boro home, Cardiff away, Blackpool home. Tough run in!
Leicester have Birmingham home, Bolton home, Palace away, Watford home, Forest away - very tricky run in!
Brighton have Boro away, Petereborough away, Blackpool home, Leeds away, Wolves home. Tough but not as tough as others.
Forest - Cardiff away, Boro away, Barnsley home, Millwall away Leicester home - tricky run in.
Palace - Ipswich away, Leicester home, Blackburn away, Millwall away, Peterborough home.

I think Palace may slip out of the play offs, they not won in 5 and their away record is terrible - 1 win in their last 12 away games.
If we have a good run in I think we will be certs to get into the play offs but two tough away games coming - if we don't pick up 3 points from those two we will be out of it.

16Will we make the play offs? Empty Re: Will we make the play offs? Sat Apr 06 2013, 20:32

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I really can't see why you can't make it now.

I posted somewhere on here that I thought you may lose out on goal difference and that could still be the case.

17Will we make the play offs? Empty Re: Will we make the play offs? Sat Apr 06 2013, 20:47

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Actually mathematically we can still finish 2nd Cool
If the results go right for us next week we will be 5th .....we have to play on as hard as we can and get the results..... Unfortunately we need others to botch up their season. I think we are one or two games short to make it.....mainly because of our poor away form.

18Will we make the play offs? Empty Re: Will we make the play offs? Sat Apr 06 2013, 20:47

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Need the points at Bristol then take it from there. The home form is great it would be a shame to blow it away at bottom of the league.

19Will we make the play offs? Empty Re: Will we make the play offs? Sat Apr 06 2013, 23:32

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:If you predicted every game correctly our record would look like this.

Wins - 0

Draws - 0

Defeats - 41.

Not true. You have upset me.

20Will we make the play offs? Empty Re: Will we make the play offs? Sun Apr 07 2013, 11:10

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Copper Dragon wrote:I really can't see why you can't make it now.

I posted somewhere on here that I thought you may lose out on goal difference and that could still be the case.
As you can see from our away record both under Dougie and Owen, we just can't seem to get it together away from the Reebok - and 3 of our remaining games are away from home.
On top of that, yesterday's game was only the second out of our home winning streak that we can honestly say we won comfortably without being troubled at the back too much - we were a lick of paint from conceding in some of the other recent home games.
So whilst I'm not especially looking for reasons as to why we might not make it, it's pretty obvious that unless we completely turn around our away form and put in top performances in all our remaining games, we won't do it. As a fan, I desperately want the team to make it, but I'm not stupid enough to think that it's going to be anything other than a monumental task.
We are in the position we're in and I'm sure that if we don't make it, there will be lots of fans blaming Coyle for our start - but if we'd turned up at Ipswich, or held on to a 2 goal lead at Charlton we'd be right up there so I don't think that's entirely valid. All we can do is look at the Bristol game, understand the position they're in and pray the team recognise the dangers and focus on the day. For now, the dream is alive for another week but we can't look beyond that.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum