Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pub Weirdos

+12
Banks of the Croal
scottjames30
Mr Magoo
Natasha Whittam
Sluffy
Reebok Trotter
Angry Dad
wanderlust
doffcocker
Norpig
rammywhite
karlypants
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

1Pub Weirdos Empty Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 14:08

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So I thought I would take Mrs KP out to manchester for a bit of retail therapy and decided to come to weatherspoon Piccadilly for a quick pint along the way and not 5 mins ago a bloke comes across with 2 Boots branded bags asking if I want to buy any Bacardi!

Obviously it's either that fake booze that does the rounds, stolen or just water inside.

I declined.

Have any of you been approached by weirdos in a pub?

2Pub Weirdos Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 14:33

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Yeah-quite a few times. The trouble is I usually know them.

3Pub Weirdos Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 15:07

Back in the 90's, my local was the Doffcocker and after drinking in there for ten years, nobody I now meet in any pub strikes me as being particularly weird.....

The brewery once closed the pub for a month to give it a full refurbishment and on the last night before it closed it was mayhem.

All the optics went, the beer fridges from behind the bar got "liberated", the landlord wound up tied to a lamp-post outside and my mate has still got the sandwich board that used to advertise "Hot Food Served Between 12 and 6" for some bizarre reason......

And having your own condom machine screwed to your bedroom wall is a real talking point with the ladies, I can tell you........

4Pub Weirdos Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 15:29

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i remember going in the Griffin in town on a Saturday afternoon years ago and being offered all sorts of stuff just nicked from thr Morrisons behind it and other shops. I was offered a pair of jeans, a jar of coffee and a block of cheese, i said no to all of them

5Pub Weirdos Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 15:40

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

There are no weirdos in the pubs round here. I live in Halliwell.

6Pub Weirdos Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 15:58

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wood St in the early 70s was technically a club inasmuch that they used to charge 10p so you could sit on the ex-bus seats and drink all afternoon before the licensing laws were liberalised. More people with body parts missing - or extra - than a battlefield. Made the NZC, Griff and Ancient Shep seem posh.

More recently, first week after I moved to Norfolk a guy came round collecting for the Norfolk Mountain Rescue Team. He got quite abusive when I told him where to stick his collection box. Turns out that there actually is a Norfolk Mountain Rescue Team. Awkward.
Pub Weirdos 1922150_664237586973804_480061801_n
...not to be confused with the spoof Norfolk Mountain Rescue Team Facebook page which has stories like:
[size=12.727272033691406]"Is it the uniform?. We just don't know but here are two typical local girls waiting for the rescue team......"[/size]
Pub Weirdos 429684_251814324898319_600597434_n

[size=12.727272033691406]Future Dates...........1st July..........The Norfolk Mountain Rescue Team Tractor Display Team. Includes Pig Roast. Local Game . My turnip be bigger un yur turnip. Kiss ya sister competition. The most bootiful chicken competition. Spot the funny carrot. And that most complicated conundrum what b a sense of humour then ode bouy. Includes a Raffle. win yourself a hoe. Don't miss this fun day[/size]

7Pub Weirdos Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 16:15

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Yes i have been offered a Gun a box of broccoli a load of dodgy fags(the kind you smoke mind) a load of bent notes dirt cheap and a beat up vauxhall cavalier for a few pints. Oh yes and a guy who had a van load of mens wigs going cheap as he'd just been fired.

8Pub Weirdos Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 16:19

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:There are no weirdos in the pubs round here. I live in Halliwell.

i grew up in Halliwell and have drunk my way up and down Halliwell Road many times ,are you sure?

9Pub Weirdos Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 18:15

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I used to drink in the Doffcocker and played darts there in the nineties. The landlord was called Jim and he also played darts. He wore a wig and it couldn't look more obvious if he wore a chinstrap.

I also played darts for the Lamb in the seventies. It was a Greenhall's pub back then.

How many of our older posters can remember The Empress on Mealhouse Lane?

10Pub Weirdos Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 18:21

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lamb on Blackburn road RT?

11Pub Weirdos Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 18:24

Reebok Trotter wrote:I used to drink in the Doffcocker and played darts there in the nineties. The landlord was called Jim and he also played darts. He wore a wig and it couldn't look more obvious if he wore a chinstrap.

I also played darts for the Lamb in the seventies. It was a Greenhall's pub back then.

How many of our older posters can remember The Empress on Mealhouse Lane?

Jim and Pauline.

Jim's brother had the same wig but in a slightly darker shade. (True story - not made up for comic effect.)

He got sacked by the brewery for fiddling the books and wasn't allowed to set foot in the pub, despite living above it.

They had to come and go via the fire escape at the back during the investigation and we all used to sit outside laughing at them.

Before that he got sacked from the Pineapple for doing the dirty with Pauline on the pool table.

Dodgy little bastard, that one.

12Pub Weirdos Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 18:25

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:Lamb on Blackburn road RT?

No, Halliwell Road. I used to frequent the Pineapple, Bowling Green and Pomps on Blackburn Road.

13Pub Weirdos Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 18:27

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:

Jim and Pauline.

Jim's brother had the same wig but in a slightly darker shade. (True story - not made up for comic effect.)

He got sacked by the brewery for fiddling the books and wasn't allowed to set foot in the pub, despite living above it.

They had to come and go via the fire escape at the back during the investigation and we all used to sit outside laughing at them.

Before that he got sacked from the Pineapple for doing the dirty with Pauline on the pool table.

Dodgy little bastard, that one.

He was indeed. We played there for two seasons but we got a bit fed up tbh. His party piece was pulling out his knob whenever he was pissed. We left him and moved to Astley Bridge Conny Club where the steward displayed far more decorum.

14Pub Weirdos Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 18:29

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:
karlypants wrote:Lamb on Blackburn road RT?

No, Halliwell Road. I used to frequent the Pineapple, Bowling Green and Pomps on Blackburn Road.
Pomps?

Something is ringing a bell about a lamb pub on halliwell road, is it still there or was it the one where there used to be public toilets next door or an old bus stop or something?

15Pub Weirdos Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 18:33

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I'm the reigning Chess Champion at the Doffcocker!

About 35 years ago they decided to have a competition and I just happened to have called in there for a pint and put my name down.

I was quite keen on chess back in those days and was my old grammar schools champion, so I fancied my chances a bit to win the prize of something like £10 which was a good night out back then.

Anyway I kept playing round by round until I quite easily got through to the final from my half of the draw, which I presume included the local favourite/s as the semi-finalists in the other half of the draw both gave up!

As a non local to the pub though I never got the money - as a final had not been played.

Home town decision and all that - but I was pleased enough to have won the title and not too surprised not to see the money.

As I doubt they've had another competition since that time I still claim to be the Doffcocker ruling chess champion (undefeated)!

And yes I remember the Empress RT - it later became Jon Spencer's snooker club iirc.

16Pub Weirdos Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 18:40

I'm surprised that any of the locals could play chess in the Doffy, Sluff.

Most of 'em used to struggle with dominoes when I drank in there......

Anyway, expert on 12th century history and local chess Grand Master - you're a man of hidden depths, aren't you mate?

What are you like with Particle Physics...?  Very Happy

17Pub Weirdos Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 18:42

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:Pomps?

Something is ringing a bell about a lamb pub on halliwell road, is it still there or was it the one where there used to be public toilets next door or an old bus stop or something?

Pomps was the tiny little pub at the bottom of Blackburn Road where it meets Halliwell Road. It was a Whitbread pub and it's real name was the Old Original British Queen. I think it was called Pomps because there was a pub directly across the road called the Victoria British Queen, so if you said Pomps everyone knew which pub you meant.

I was actually from Cannon Street up Deane Road but in my teens all the best darts teams seemed to be from Blackburn Road and Halliwell Road. The Raglan had a great darts team as did the Black Dog.

18Pub Weirdos Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 19:04

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:
karlypants wrote:Pomps?

Pomps was the tiny little pub at the bottom of Blackburn Road where it meets Halliwell Road. It was a Whitbread pub and it's real name was the Old Original British Queen. I think it was called Pomps because there was a pub directly across the road called the Victoria British Queen, so if you said Pomps everyone knew which pub you meant.

I was actually from Cannon Street up Deane Road but in my teens all the best darts teams seemed to be from Blackburn Road and Halliwell Road. The Raglan had a great darts team as did the Black Dog.

I'm trying to think what that pub is called as it is still there, it's not very big.

VBQ is next door to relphs funeral place and is closed, it has been like that for getting on for 10 years now it must be!

19Pub Weirdos Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 19:07

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The old original British Queen!

20Pub Weirdos Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 19:08

You've thoroughly lost me now, KP.......

Which pub?

The Ainsworth at the top end of Halliwell Rd or The New Inn at the bottom?

Or are we talking Blackburn Rd?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum