Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pub Weirdos

+12
Banks of the Croal
scottjames30
Mr Magoo
Natasha Whittam
Sluffy
Reebok Trotter
Angry Dad
wanderlust
doffcocker
Norpig
rammywhite
karlypants
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

61Pub Weirdos - Page 4 Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 20:22

karlypants wrote:Funnily enough, the bowling green I saw today although it has been shut for a good few years appears to be having a renovation from what I saw this morning.

Doubt it will be a pub again though!

I swear I'm not just making this up to be contentious, but it's being converted into one of those "prayer-house mini mosque" type things that are springing up all-over Bolton..

I drive past it every time I nip over to see my Mum & Dad and I shed a quiet tear to myself......

62Pub Weirdos - Page 4 Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 20:24

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

anyone remember Olivers in town? It was a hotbed of underrage drinkers like me, also Spencers (then Crown and Cushion) was also easy to get served in when you were underage

63Pub Weirdos - Page 4 Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 20:33

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:
karlypants wrote:Funnily enough, the bowling green I saw today although it has been shut for a good few years appears to be having a renovation from what I saw this morning.

I swear I'm not just making this up to be contentious, but it's being converted into one of those "prayer-house mini mosque" type things that are springing up all-over Bolton..

I drive past it every time I nip over to see my Mum & Dad and I shed a quiet tear to myself......

The Black Dog always had a decent turnover and yet that was sold and flattened to be turned into a Mosque. There should be a limit to how many of these kind of places of worship can be opened in one area.

The West Stand at the Reebok even has a Prayer room. With the way the team has been playing a little divine intervention wouldn't go amiss.

64Pub Weirdos - Page 4 Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 20:34

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:

Unfortunately your probably right, the area is Muslim and they don't drink.

I remember when they pulled the the bridge pub down, there hasn't been anything on the land there since.

65Pub Weirdos - Page 4 Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 20:35

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:anyone remember Olivers in town? It was a hotbed of underrage drinkers like me, also Spencers (then Crown and Cushion) was also easy to get served in when you were underage

Whereabouts was Olivers? We used to go in The Painters Arms in town and they never seemed to query your age.

66Pub Weirdos - Page 4 Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 20:56

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Olivers was underneath ( i think) the lower nags head on Deansgate, its was on the same block as the marks and spencer and Burtons if memory serves, i could be wrong though!

67Pub Weirdos - Page 4 Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 21:04

Norpig wrote:Olivers was underneath ( i think) the lower nags head on Deansgate, its was on the same block as the marks and spencer and Burtons if memory serves, i could be wrong though!

We all got pissed in there when we got our O Level results.

It was like a youth club that sold ale.

It's no wonder I'm a piss can nowadays......

68Pub Weirdos - Page 4 Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 21:05

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Lower Nags WAS downstairs iirc - so I doubt Olivers was below that?

Unless the Nags opened up at street level?

All after my time though so can't really help.

69Pub Weirdos - Page 4 Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 21:09

Sluffy wrote:Lower Nags WAS downstairs iirc - so I doubt Olivers was below that?

Unless the Nags opened up at street level?

All after my time though so can't really help.

You went in through The Nag's front door, took off your blazer, hung your school bag on a peg then went down some steps to Olivers.

It was dead exotic to my 16 year old mind.

70Pub Weirdos - Page 4 Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 21:16

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

You used to enter then immeadiately go down stairs to get to the bar in the Nags in my day.

Sounds as though they opened up at street level and what was once the Nags to us old ones was converted into Olivers for you youngsters.

71Pub Weirdos - Page 4 Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 22:02

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

the othe pub we always tried for underage drinking was the pub behind the old church on Trinity street facing the train station but again i can't remember the name. I seem to remember it always had trannys in!

72Pub Weirdos - Page 4 Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 22:05

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:the othe pub we always tried for underage drinking was the pub behind the old church on Trinity street facing the train station but again i can't remember the name. I seem to remember it always had trannys in!
 lol!  The only one I know that's close is the sweet green tavern and that is a shithole

73Pub Weirdos - Page 4 Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 22:08

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It is the Sweet Green Tavern. The parents of Bolton's biggest lowlife, Andrew Longmire, were the hosts for many a year.

74Pub Weirdos - Page 4 Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 22:13

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

no it was right behind the old church and on the same side as the machine mart but before that. Racking my brains but can't think of the name!

75Pub Weirdos - Page 4 Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 22:14

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:no it was right behind the old church and on the same side as the machine mart but before that. Racking my brains but can't think of the name!

Are you sure it wasn't the Painters Arms? They used to have doorstaff on at the weekend.

Last edited by Reebok Trotter on Tue Feb 25 2014, 22:15; edited 1 time in total

76Pub Weirdos - Page 4 Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 22:15

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i have a feeling it was a pub that then changed into some kind of gay club!

77Pub Weirdos - Page 4 Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 22:17

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The only Gay club in Bolton back then was opposite the Market Hall at the back. Tiny little pub, still going today but I can't remember the name.

78Pub Weirdos - Page 4 Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 22:19

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:The only Gay club in Bolton back then was opposite the Market Hall at the back. Tiny little pub, still going today but I can't remember the name.
Which side of the market hall RT?

St George's road?

79Pub Weirdos - Page 4 Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 22:22

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Anyone remember The Gibraltar Rock hotel on Deane road?

80Pub Weirdos - Page 4 Empty Re: Pub Weirdos Tue Feb 25 2014, 22:23

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:no it was right behind the old church and on the same side as the machine mart but before that. Racking my brains but can't think of the name!

If it is the one I think you mean, which was on Bridge Street / Crook Street - it was called The Church.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum