Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Good tv series?

+10
BoltonTillIDie
Hipster_Nebula
Natasha Whittam
karlypants
Reebok Trotter
boltonbonce
Norpig
Reebok_Rebel
White84
Leeds_Trotter
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

21Good tv series? - Page 2 Empty Re: Good tv series? Thu Sep 18 2014, 22:50

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I haven't seen that but I watched the first couple of "the blacklist" and it was hilariously clichéd rubbish.

22Good tv series? - Page 2 Empty Re: Good tv series? Thu Sep 18 2014, 23:02

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

just watch the first episode of Strain - seems OK so far and first 10 episodes available to download

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2654620/

23Good tv series? - Page 2 Empty Re: Good tv series? Thu Sep 18 2014, 23:06

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Hipster_Nebula wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:The Wire

True Detective

:like:

I agree. The Wire is the best series I have ever seen and worth making the effort to get into - the first couple of episodes can be a bit of a challenge.

True Detective is the best series I have seen recently. Great atmosphere and two good lead actors.

The Sopranos is also very good. The best recent British series for me was Broadchurch.

24Good tv series? - Page 2 Empty Re: Good tv series? Thu Sep 18 2014, 23:07

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Wentworth Prison - definitely not like its predecessor, Prisoner:Cell Block H, as it is far more graphic and real of a female prison in Australia.

The Leftovers - just seen first 2 episodes today, quit good so-far about the sudden disappearance of of 1/3 of the world population and how their families cope in the aftermath

Legends, starring Sean Bean, just started on Sky1 and first episode was impressive so giving it another go with episode 2 this weekend.

The Americans - 1st two seasons should be able to download - also cult viewing about KGB spies living as Americans - been good so far and can't wait for 3rd series.

As for possible downloads try The Last Train (was on ITV Player don't know if it still is) same scenario as BBC's Survivors and also from ITV archives is Chimera

25Good tv series? - Page 2 Empty Re: Good tv series? Thu Sep 18 2014, 23:12

xmiles wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

True Detective

I agree. The Wire is the best series I have ever seen and worth making the effort to get into - the first couple of episodes can be a bit of a challenge.

True Detective is the best series I have seen recently. Great atmosphere and two good lead actors.

The Sopranos is also very good. The best recent British series for me was Broadchurch.

Couldn't stand Matthew McConaughey before I saw True Detective and Dallas Buyers Club but you're right he's excellent as is Woody Harrelson. 

Haven't seen Broadchurch but heard it's good, is it a similar sort of show?

26Good tv series? - Page 2 Empty Re: Good tv series? Fri Sep 19 2014, 07:55

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Nat you need help.

It's the King's New Clothes Syndrome. The Wire is rubbish but people say they like it because it's cool. Same with Breaking Bad, another awful programme it's cool to like.

Every storyline in The Wire was done in Law & Order several years previously.

27Good tv series? - Page 2 Empty Re: Good tv series? Fri Sep 19 2014, 08:16

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breaking bad was a good series. I was hooked after the first episode.

28Good tv series? - Page 2 Empty Re: Good tv series? Fri Sep 19 2014, 08:41

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i missed Ray Donovan off my list, another great series worth a watch.

29Good tv series? - Page 2 Empty Re: Good tv series? Fri Sep 19 2014, 09:27

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:Depends what you like. If your in to dystopian stuff, try BBC's survivors. About a mutilated virus that kills 99.99999% of the world population, trust me, it's fantastic.
Not a large cast though by the sounds of it.
lol!

30Good tv series? - Page 2 Empty Re: Good tv series? Fri Sep 19 2014, 10:05

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:i missed Ray Donovan off my list, another great series worth a watch.

I have bought the Ray Donovan and Banshee boxsets and I am looking forward to watching them when the kids break up in October. I'm currently watching one called The Killing which is quite good.

31Good tv series? - Page 2 Empty Re: Good tv series? Fri Sep 19 2014, 10:29

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:Nat you need help.

It's the King's New Clothes Syndrome. The Wire is rubbish but people say they like it because it's cool. Same with Breaking Bad, another awful programme it's cool to like.

Every storyline in The Wire was done in Law & Order several years previously.

Rubbish, but welcome to your opinion. In terms of actual AAA quality I'd say The Wire, Mad Men and Six Feet Under stand way above the rest. You said you haven't even watched The Wire so how do you know intricate details of the "storylines." I know you're desperate to be an iconoclast but at least be honest.

True Detective was about to join that AAA group before the final episode. 

I liked Breaking Bad but I didn't think it even touched the wire in terms of quality, it's more of a dark comedy really which breaks the drama, a lot of "cartoon" characters in it. 

all subjective though.

32Good tv series? - Page 2 Empty Re: Good tv series? Fri Sep 19 2014, 11:06

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

bwfc1874 wrote:
xmiles wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

True Detective

Couldn't stand Matthew McConaughey before I saw True Detective and Dallas Buyers Club but you're right he's excellent as is Woody Harrelson. 

Haven't seen Broadchurch but heard it's good, is it a similar sort of show?

Broadchurch has a different kind of atmosphere. It is about the murder of a child and it focuses more on the impact this murder has than on simple crime solving, although the culprit is eventually caught. Definitely worth looking up some reviews.

I also liked The Americans which seemed to be missed by a lot of people.

33Good tv series? - Page 2 Empty Re: Good tv series? Fri Sep 19 2014, 11:43

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:You said you haven't even watched The Wire so how do you know intricate details of the "storylines."

I watched the first two episodes in full and didn't have a clue what was going on, who the characters were, or why I wasted two hours of my life on it.

Since then I've flicked it on quite regularly when it's been showing and found the plots to be rip-offs of Law & Order.

Makes me laugh when you say The Blacklist is clichéd rubbish when in fact it's highly original with some brilliant acting from James Spader. While the acting in The Wire may be top notch, original it ain't.

34Good tv series? - Page 2 Empty Re: Good tv series? Fri Sep 19 2014, 11:48

The plot of the Wire is carried across an entire series, not show by show so there's pretty much no way you can judge it when you've only seen a couple of episodes. Also Law and Order is about murder investigations, the wire is not.

Sorry but you're way off on this one.

35Good tv series? - Page 2 Empty Re: Good tv series? Fri Sep 19 2014, 11:56

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:Also Law and Order is about murder investigations, the wire is not.

You've clearly not watched every episode ten times.

36Good tv series? - Page 2 Empty Re: Good tv series? Fri Sep 19 2014, 12:35

Got to agree with Whittam on this.

Both The Wire and Lost were largely unintelligible for long periods and people got duped into believing that just because they were almost impossible to follow, they must be "clever" and if you admitted that you didn't get it, you were basically admitting to being thick.

Also agree about Spader's performances in The Blacklist being outstanding.

37Good tv series? - Page 2 Empty Re: Good tv series? Fri Sep 19 2014, 12:40

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I fail to remember anything "unintelligible" about The Wire. It's social realism so it's stripped bare basically. I'm not sure what there is to "get" It's like looking out the window, unless you're being philosophical there's nothing to get there either. 

Lost is a surrealist piece so it's purposely subversive.

38Good tv series? - Page 2 Empty Re: Good tv series? Fri Sep 19 2014, 12:40

The Wire and True Detective needed concentration but were far from unintelligible. Just very good, intricate story lines.

39Good tv series? - Page 2 Empty Re: Good tv series? Fri Sep 19 2014, 12:45

Hipster_Nebula wrote:I fail to remember anything "unintelligible" about The Wire. It's social realism so it's stripped bare basically. I'm not sure what there is to "get" It's like looking out the window, unless you're being philosophical there's nothing to get there either. 

Lost is a surrealist piece so it's purposely subversive.

What a load of poncey fucking shite......

Thanks for proving my point.

40Good tv series? - Page 2 Empty Re: Good tv series? Fri Sep 19 2014, 12:49

Is your point that you didn't understand it and therefore you assume nobody else did?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum