Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

If Dougie were to go...

+19
karlypants
boltonbonce
Culcheth_White
Hipster_Nebula
observer
Angry Dad
scottjames30
wanderlust
doffcocker
bryan458
luckyPeterpiper
aaron_bwfc
terenceanne
Tigermin
rammywhite
Natasha Whittam
Sluffy
gloswhite
Reebok_Rebel
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

61If Dougie were to go... - Page 4 Empty Re: If Dougie were to go... Tue Oct 22 2013, 21:51

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

doffcocker wrote:Pulis spent millions at Stoke. It's easy to look at what he did there and think, OK he did what was required of him, he must be a safe pair of hands. He only achieved what a lot of other managers could too, given those resources.
People do the same with Megson. Oh the football wasn't pretty, but at least he kept us up. So he fucking should. He spent millions.

Pulis is just one of those managers. Give him £40m to spend, he'll get you £10m worth of players. Can you think of one Stoke player from the last decade that's been sold for a decent profit?

He's basically EVERYTHING we don't need right now.
You want to see what the West Ham fans think Of Sam Allardyce! His style of play is exactly, what West Ham fans don't want and he has spent a fortune on players like, Matt Jarvis, Andy Carroll, Modibo Maiga, Stewart Downing etc.

62If Dougie were to go... - Page 4 Empty Re: If Dougie were to go... Tue Oct 22 2013, 22:16

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Looking at the league table West Ham are not far off the bottom three.

63If Dougie were to go... - Page 4 Empty Re: If Dougie were to go... Tue Oct 22 2013, 23:20

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Interesting scenario, Hollowhead gets potted by Palace, Dougie goes back, Allardyce gets potted by West Ham, the dream reignites after Gartside goes crawling on all fours.

64If Dougie were to go... - Page 4 Empty Re: If Dougie were to go... Wed Oct 23 2013, 07:59

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:He's also overseen one of the most successful periods of our history. 

You jest, surely?

£135m in debt is not a successful period, it's a fucking disaster.

65If Dougie were to go... - Page 4 Empty Re: If Dougie were to go... Wed Oct 23 2013, 08:07

A debt that was mainly built after Allardyce had gone, so Im 100% correct. ::dance::

66If Dougie were to go... - Page 4 Empty Re: If Dougie were to go... Wed Oct 23 2013, 11:45

JohannesburgWanderer

Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

If Ian Holloway was to be sacked at Palace today maybe Freedman will be enticed back and Holloway could comne back to North West!!! Although Ince is apparently a target for Middlesborough so Holloway could go back to Blackpool and we get Mowbray!!!!!

67If Dougie were to go... - Page 4 Empty Re: If Dougie were to go... Wed Oct 23 2013, 12:02

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Stop it! You're scaring me.What a Face

68If Dougie were to go... - Page 4 Empty Re: If Dougie were to go... Wed Oct 23 2013, 12:42

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:I'd be absolutely gutted if we appointed Pulis.

People think Dougie's negative, wait till they see Tony in action.
Same, I absolutely hate him and his "brand" of football.

69If Dougie were to go... - Page 4 Empty Re: If Dougie were to go... Wed Oct 23 2013, 12:43

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

JohannesburgWanderer wrote:If Ian Holloway was to be sacked at Palace today maybe Freedman will be enticed back and Holloway could comne back to North West!!! Although Ince is apparently a target for Middlesborough so Holloway could go back to Blackpool and we get Mowbray!!!!!
Mowbray one of the worst managers in existence, who couldn't even do the business at Celtic.

He'd be brilliant. 

Memo to Bolton fans, any manager who is sacked isn't automatically the man we "need" (they got sacked for a reason)

70If Dougie were to go... - Page 4 Empty Re: If Dougie were to go... Wed Oct 23 2013, 14:17

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Exactly, as far as I'm aware Karl Robinson has never been sacked.

71If Dougie were to go... - Page 4 Empty Re: If Dougie were to go... Wed Oct 23 2013, 14:19

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:Exactly, as far as I'm aware Karl Robinson has never been sacked.
Correct, he's been at MK Dons since 2010.

72If Dougie were to go... - Page 4 Empty Re: If Dougie were to go... Wed Oct 23 2013, 15:45

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

That's what we need, someone who doesn't have the stench of failure about them but has managed for more than a few weeks.

73If Dougie were to go... - Page 4 Empty Re: If Dougie were to go... Wed Oct 23 2013, 16:16

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

What has Karl Robinson done worth writing home about?

74If Dougie were to go... - Page 4 Empty Re: If Dougie were to go... Wed Oct 23 2013, 16:20

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:What has Karl Robinson done worth writing home about?
He played for Bamber Bridge and enjoys deep sea fishing and the works of James Joyce.

75If Dougie were to go... - Page 4 Empty Re: If Dougie were to go... Wed Oct 23 2013, 23:57

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Ian Holloway is a hell of a funny man and a very likeable character but he's failed in the top flight twice now and frankly I think he'd be no better than what we have. People may say Dougie is one dimensional but so is Holloway. He might want to play attacking football but he does it no matter what and in many ways he's got the same sort of tunnel vision Owen Coyle had. What we need in the long run is a manager who adapts to the players he has and the opposition they face. Sam was the last manager of our club who could do it and they are fairly thin on the ground. Even thinner are managers who've never failed or been potted by a club. While Holloway has provided a lot of memorable quotes and entertaining comments I don't think he'd be good for us. 

The sad truth is that we haven't the pulling power to attract a really great manager and of the ones currently available I'm going to side with Natasha and say they are free because they failed, not the best recommendation for a club struggling both on and off the field. Now I'll disagree with Natasha and say until and unless someone who is really keen to come here and hasn't already been shunting from one failure to another becomes available then we should stick with what we have. I don't expect Dougie to take us to a CL final any time soon or light up the night with amazing football that Barcelona envy but by the same token I don't think anyone else will in our current set of circumstances. 

I don't doubt that a lot of names will be bandied about over the course of the season or that Dougie is under pressure given the awful start we've had but change for the sake of it would in my opinion be silly. Unless we KNOW that the man coming in will radically improve things then there's no point in making alterations.

76If Dougie were to go... - Page 4 Empty Re: If Dougie were to go... Thu Oct 24 2013, 00:08

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Blackpool were relegated on 39 points with as small a budget as we may ever see in the PL. They were desperately unlucky. Just getting them to the top flight was an excellent achievement by Holloway.

I don't care much either way about him as a person. He neither makes me laugh out loud nor pisses me off. I wouldn't be jumping for joy if he came to Bolton nor would I be furious.

77If Dougie were to go... - Page 4 Empty Re: If Dougie were to go... Thu Oct 24 2013, 08:00

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:What has Karl Robinson done worth writing home about?
Taken a struggling team, steadied the ship, brought in a load of young players for peanuts, with a few old heads for experience, and produced a team that plays football the way it should be played.

Granted, he's no Fergie at the moment but as potential goes he's top of the list and would probably see Bolton as a step up.

I'd rather be shit playing good football than be shit playing Dougie's extra cautious bollocks.

78If Dougie were to go... - Page 4 Empty Re: If Dougie were to go... Thu Oct 24 2013, 10:05

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Karl Robinson does well as a League 1 manager by signing and releasing loads of players who are on a free transfer, hence his massive turnover of playing staff and more false dawns than you can wave a stick at. Good strategy for league 1 survival and TBF he almost got them promoted on one occasion.
A likeable chap as Paul Ince sidekicks go, popular with the media, but less so with the fans who are getting fed up with the lack of progress after all the hype.
He may be a media darling but he has no apparent skills when it comes to developing players, and his track record as a manager is very questionable as he's promised so much and failed at every attempt to get MKD promoted.
In his favour is that he knows the lower leagues and can manage on a budget if we ever need rejected League 2 players on a free.

79If Dougie were to go... - Page 4 Empty Re: If Dougie were to go... Thu Oct 24 2013, 13:03

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Any manager who's had a sustained period of stability always catches the eye, especially in the lower leagues.

but if we're being honest, i would speculate there aren't many on here who have been watching MK dons every week during KR reign. So anything said is really conjecture.

80If Dougie were to go... - Page 4 Empty Re: If Dougie were to go... Thu Oct 24 2013, 13:30

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

The list of managers that have achieved miles more than Karl Robinson, then moved to a club like Bolton and been a waste of space is endless.

Look at Graham Westley. He did an unbelievable job at Stevenage. He moved to a bigger club where he became possibly their most hated ever manager.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum