Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Would You Be Bothered If Romanians Moved In Next Door?

+13
Hipster_Nebula
wanderlust
mark leach
rammywhite
White84
bwfc71
Tigermin
Sluffy
boltonbonce
Reebok Trotter
gloswhite
scottjames30
Natasha Whittam
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 8]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

bwfc1874 wrote:What's ridiculous abouth this statement though - 

I don't want a large, loud, messy family living next door to me regardless of nationality. I don't see why them being Romanian makes it more likely they're neighbours from hell.

There are good and bad Romainians, just like there are good and bad English people, or any other nation you care to mention.

The problem is more cultural imo than anything else.

People from abroad tend to stick with their own communities over here and maintain the 'norms' that they are used to.

For instance they probably have a larger family size on average than we do, they probably live in the poorer end of the towns, they probably hang about outside in large groups (as they probably don't have Romainian 'Sky' to watch indoors, the kids probably play out, were as ours are probably social networking alone indoors on their tablets or smart phones, etc, etc.

The key to a multicultural society imo is integration - the problem is, so many immigrants simply don't bother to even learn our language let alone trying to adapt to our society.

In fact if anything it is we who are expected to adapt and be tolerant of theirs.

The simple question I have of people who come to our shores yet want to life their lives as they did in their own country's is, if their lives, ways and country was so wonderful - then why did they leave it to come here?

No one wants to live next to any anti-social neighbours but until people from Romainia, etc learn to adapt to our country and society's norms, then their 'normal' way of life will be seen somewhat anti-social to many of us - and that is why what Nigel said - irrespective of how PC it was - is true.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Most Brits who move abroad make no attempt to adapt to their new home. They're gonna be Brits wherever they are and that's an end to it. Don't learn the language,just shout louder.No problem with Romanians,but the Welsh,Irish and Scots piss me off something chronic.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

My understanding of the UKIP viewpoint is that they are not totally against immigration per se. It cannot be right in this day and age that convicted Romanian criminals and rapists can come and settle in our country with impunity. You can't even get a visa for a holiday in America if you have a criminal record.

The Government of any country has a duty to protect its own people. This 'open all hours' across Europe policy is a bloody joke. It seems to me that UKIP are advocating tougher border controls and that cannot be a bad thing in my opinion.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

sadly UKIP is a party populated almost exclusively by the worst type of golf club bore. Their new found popularity has caused people to taker a closer look at them,and it's not a pretty sight. You can only go so far on Farage's 'Hail fellow well met,fancy a snifter' bullshit. It's a one man show and a one trick pony.

Sluffy wrote:

No one wants to live next to any anti-social neighbours but until people from Romainia, etc learn to adapt to our country and society's norms, then their 'normal' way of life will be seen somewhat anti-social to many of us - and that is why what Nigel said - irrespective of how PC it was - is true.

Do you know a lot of Romanians? Can't say I do, but I'd imagine the same was said about Indians, Poles and even the Irish at points in history. Yet the vast majority have contributed to this country, where's the evidence to say having a Romanian family next door is some kind of nightmare? Twats exist in every nationality, it's not exclusive to foreigners who people like Farage regard as alien and therefore hostile.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Yes I do have some experience of dealing with Romainians (and this is pre the expiry of the woking restrictions they and the Bulgarians had) although I certainly would not claim to be an expert.

The biggest and most obvious hurdle was the language barrier - the vast majority I met seemed not to have any English - hence why they stuck together and behaved no different to how they would behave back home - I would imagine.  For instance the women dressed in a way that most people would in Romania - certainly not like western woman do.  Their children, even very young ones were allowed to roam the streets, they probably aren't used inner city living and more familiar with a slower and possibly safer pace of life back home, etc, etc.

I'm certainly not trying to suggest Romainians per se are 'twats', simply that their culture and ways of doing things for now are generally out of step with ours - and that is where the potential problems and misunderstandings result from.

Yes, Irish, Indians, Poles etc have come to country and integrated but I would suggest that is because most could speak English.  I think you will find that certainly those from the Indian sub continent who could not, will similarly to the way I have tried to describe the Romainians above - stick to their own communities and norms and fail to integrate fully into society without the effort of wanting to at least learn our language.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time that I've had to communicate with Asian family's who have been in this country for decades via their children or even their grandchildren.

What's the point in living in a country for say over 40 years and still not having learned to speak any english - and believe me this does happen.

The problem to my mind is not are Romainians, Indians, Poles, whoever, the problem but the will to integrate and be tolerant of us, rather than seek isolation within their own communities and shun our society yet still expect the benefits our society gives to its residents.

Multiculturalism as failed and we are now an island riven by differences and mistrust.

Sadly somewhere, some how the utopia that was aimed for as resulted in some (many?) people now being prejudiced against any grouping who are different to them - hence the mood of many over Nigel's comments.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:sadly UKIP is a party populated almost exclusively by the worst type of golf club bore. Their new found popularity has caused people to taker a closer look at them,and it's not a pretty sight. You can only go so far on Farage's 'Hail fellow well met,fancy a snifter' bullshit. It's a one man show and a one trick pony.

You could well be right but most of the Tory MP's come across as patronising buffoons. The north of England has by and large been ignored by the Conservatives. Anything north of Watford is not worth bothering with. That Esther McVey over in Liverpool is a prime example. Minister of State for Employment no less. A former TV presenter turned politician. What the hell does she know about hardship and unemployment? Everytime she is interviewed I am overcome with ennui. She has to be one of the most patronising cabinet members ever. I can't see her living on a council estate next to a family of eastern Europeans, can you?

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:sadly UKIP is a party populated almost exclusively by the worst type of golf club bore. Their new found popularity has caused people to taker a closer look at them,and it's not a pretty sight. You can only go so far on Farage's 'Hail fellow well met,fancy a snifter' bullshit. It's a one man show and a one trick pony.

You could well be right but most of the Tory MP's come across as patronising buffoons. The north of England has by and large been ignored by the Conservatives. Anything north of Watford is not worth bothering with. That Esther McVey over in Liverpool is a prime example. Minister of State for Employment no less. A former TV presenter turned politician. What the hell does she know about hardship and unemployment? Everytime she is interviewed I am overcome with ennui. She has to be one of the most patronising cabinet members ever. I can't see her living on a council estate next to a family of eastern Europeans, can you?
Another ten a penny sound bite politician. Nauseating.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

bwfc1874 wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

Do you know a lot of Romanians? Can't say I do, but I'd imagine the same was said about Indians, Poles and even the Irish at points in history. Yet the vast majority have contributed to this country, where's the evidence to say having a Romanian family next door is some kind of nightmare? Twats exist in every nationality, it's not exclusive to foreigners who people like Farage regard as alien and therefore hostile.

In days gone by the British way of life, and the character of its peoples were what people aspired to. They came here knowing they would be safe, and respected. As the years have gone by, especially the last couple of decades or so, our political leaders have let us down, (thank you Mr Blair), by irrevocably changing the infrastructure of this country by allowing uncontrolled immigration, along with a policy that didn't allow the British public a voice to air its concerns. Rather than attain multiculturism, and everyone speaking a common language, in all respects, where we all loved each other, it encouraged immigrants to live together, whilst denying proper integration, for them and us. It then allowed even more Europeans in, who were known to have a much poorer, and less regulated, i.e. criminally active, way of life. Sluffy made a good point in that when cultures clash, then surely the residents have a perfect right to question whether the changing of our laws and ways should be given away so easily, with no hope of getting it back. I have no problem with immigration, to a point, as I believe that every man, regardless of colour or creed is entitled to do whatever he can to provide for his family. What I don't agree with is changing the very basics of our culture to cater for a minority, especially when they have no apparent means, or intention, of contributing to the betterment of this country, or its society. Farage is allowing the public the opportunity to show how frustrated we are, but like most people I know there is no way he will progress to the point where he will form a government.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The thing about Farage that sets him apart from the rest is that he hasn't always been a politician. He was actually quite a successful businessman in his own right.

At the moment, the press seem to be fixated with harassing him but much of what he says actually strikes a chord with many people living in the UK.

None of us want a Nick Griffin / BNP style of leadership whereas UKIP tends to appeal to the disenfranchised masses.

I might be wrong but I suspect that UKIP will do well on Thursday.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

In days gone by the British way of life, and the character of its peoples were what people aspired to. They came here knowing they would be safe, and respected. As the years have gone by, especially the last couple of decades or so, our political leaders have let us down, (thank you Mr Blair), by irrevocably changing the infrastructure of this country by allowing uncontrolled immigration, along with a policy that didn't allow the British public a voice to air its concerns. Rather than attain multiculturism, and everyone speaking a common language, in all respects, where we all loved each other, it encouraged immigrants to live together, whilst denying proper integration, for them and us. It then allowed even more Europeans in, who were known to have a much poorer, and less regulated, i.e. criminally active, way of life. Sluffy made a good point in that when cultures clash, then surely the residents have a perfect right to question whether the changing of our laws and ways should be given away so easily, with no hope of getting it back. I have no problem with immigration, to a point, as I believe that every man, regardless of colour or creed is entitled to do whatever he can to provide for his family. What I don't agree with is changing the very basics of our culture to cater for a minority, especially when they have no apparent means, or intention, of contributing to the betterment of this country, or its society. Farage is allowing the public the opportunity to show how frustrated we are, but like most people I know there is no way he will progress to the point where he will form a government.

I agree with Glos. UKIP are unlikely to win the next general election. I doubt very much that they plan to. Their strength lies in picking up protest voters who feel marginalised. Anyone who speaks out about immigration or border control is automatically branded a racist and we need somebody with balls big enough to stand up and shout that that isn't the case at all. We Brits by and large are a tolerant bunch but some of the shoite that has been foisted on us in the interest of a multi-cultural society is a bloody joke.

Does anybody with half an ounce of common sense living in the UK actually believe that the following of Sharia / Shia Islam is the way forward?

It's a draconian immoral lifestyle with limited merit, especially for women. Scudamore might be a sexist by modern standards but his antics pale into significance when compared to some of the shite spouted by the mad mullahs.

Tigermin

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

gloswhite wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

Excellent post Glos.

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

After with living with 6 polish people for 18 months in a house, a house full of any migrants would definitely not bother me.  The majority (e.g. 99%) are just wanting to work to better themselves and don't want any trouble.

Of the 6 polish people I lived with, 4 of them went back to Poland and 2 of them still live in The Netherlands and carved out their own careers and they now have a little baby as well!  They are probably the best couple I actually know!

Thing is people are just people whether in groups or individually - some you like and some you don't.  Never anything to be afraid of. I would jut see them as friends who I don't know yet!

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

As for Romanians I know 4 Romanians and they are friendly and workaholics and just want to better themselves, like we all do!  2 of them now live and work in Norway and 1 of them moved back to Romania and another now moved to the UK and works on a farm.

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Vote EDL they have better chants and it's like being at the match in the 80's.Id legalise cannabis for personal use.ID legalise Heroin ( diamorphine) Heroin was just the trade name given by the German pharmaceutical company Bayer in 1899.when it was legal there were a very small amount of Heroin users.When made a schedule A drug it made a black market now it is believed 500-000 are addicted.In Switserland in 1997 they had a national referendum wether to treat addicts as addiction is an illness.They voted for.Now there are 18 controlled clinics where users smoke or inject in safe clean environment there prescribed amount of Heroin. Crime has dropped 70-80% and addicts have been able to find jobs etc. It would cut down massively on crime policing court time,legal aid,less Polizie,Solicitors,Lawyers,Judges,Probation officers,Insurance premiums and Gangs and stop the Taliban making money for weapons.When you look at it maybe the Government want to keep the status quo,it's a mini economy.Conspiracy theory??? Anyway I live in Salford FFS only three shootings this week.Gangs fighting over drug territory.Legalise it under strict conditions.Prohibition does not work!As for Romanions as long as they didn't make mess and noise they're alright by me.Racism alive and well on the Bolton nuts board.

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Joke about EDL people want a better life if they come to work good on them.No benefits for at least 6 years.food vouchers for Aldi etc.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What politicians really think. Gordon Brown accompanied by his nodding lap dog Danczuk pretending to care when questioned by Gillian Duffy from Rochdale. What is interesting is that as soon as she mentions immigration and eastern Europeans he immediately stereotypes her as a bigot.

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Breadman wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:

Farage has been hammered the last couple of weeks for his racist/homophobic party and rightly so there's just no place for it in modern day Britain. You can't go around making comments like that and expect to get away with.

Unfortunately there is a place in modern Britain for it. We'll see that on Thursday when millions of people democratically opt to vote UKIP and thereby express the UKIP view as their view.
And that means that there is a place for that view, like it or lump it.
And you can get away with making comments like that because that view is a commonly held view. If people want to brand Romanians collectively as criminals ,then as a free country and with more or less free speech,, people can say what they want. Attempt to remove that right and you introduce something far worse - a society where unacceptable views are banned.

He's getting hammered by the press daily, that's what I mean by not getting away with it - I clearly don't mean lock him up.

For what it's worth I agree with the view multiculturalism has failed in a lot of places, not enough has been done to integrate communities. I also think times have changed and the thought of everybody in your street being English is just not going to happen. As it wouldn't in a lot of countries, I never grew up in that situation so that's probably why I see Britain in a different way to others on this thread.

I still don't see any evidence to suggest that Romanians are terrible neighbours purely because of their nationality, a different story comes out about UKIP MPs everyday unfortunately for Nigel it seems a number of his colleagues are exactly what the opposition portray them as racist/sexist/homophobe nutters.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There is a sound economic argument for controlled inmmigration. Many parents are worried about the future of their children and whether they will be able to get a job in the future with the influx of foreign workers from all parts of Europe.

Surely as a nation we should have the right to refuse entry to criminals from eastern Europe? Multiculturalism sounds great in practise but how many immigrants actually integrate themselves in British Culture. The religious divide between Christianity and Islam is a huge barrier in uniting community relations.

Ultimately, the integration of all sections of our society can only be achieved by the will of the people and not by statute.

Greater London roughly has a population of about 6 million people of which, about 2 million are home grown Cockney Sparrows. When the indigenous people find themselves disenfranchised and without a voice in their own country it allows the likes of the BNP to gain a foothold.

Over the years successive governments have sold the electorate down the river. Starting with decimalisation and Ted Heath signing us up to the common market right through to the banking crisis and Gordon selling off our gold reserves on the cheap. Many people no longer trust politicians and their false promises. It took eight years of legal wrangling and millions of pounds of taxpayer funded legal aid to remove wanted terrorists Abu Hamza and Abu Qatada. People get very angry at this kind of thing. Hamza's wife and kids live in a state funded detached house in London and she gets £650 per week in state handouts. Her and her brood have no affinity with our country whatsoever. Hard working people in the UK have to go on a waiting list for a council house and are only successful when they have secured enough points. In the meantime they have to live with their parents in cramped conditions.

It's vitally essential that these issues are robustly debated and simply branding people as racist is a cop out.

I'll be voting UKIP tomorrow if only to cock a snook at the greedy bloody politicians with their snouts in the trough. I hope the main parties get a bloody good kicking tomorrow. If nothing else it should be a wake up call to those people who are complacent enough to think that the voters are all stupid.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum