Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide.

+10
terenceanne
wanderlust
doffcocker
finlaymcdanger
Norpig
boltonbonce
Natasha Whittam
karlypants
scottjames30
Boggersbelief
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

Who's the better striker?

Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. - Page 4 Vote_lcap92%Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. - Page 4 Vote_rcap 92% [ 23 ]
Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. - Page 4 Vote_lcap8%Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. - Page 4 Vote_rcap 8% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 25

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

61Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. - Page 4 Empty Re: Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. Thu Nov 12 2015, 21:50

Copper Dragon wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:Anelka's the best striker ever to play for Bolton Wanderers - that's undeniable. 

Ha Ha Ha

An England international, Lofthouse played his entire club career for his home town club, Bolton Wanderers, scoring 255 goals in 452 league appearances.

Sorry Copper, you're out of your depth. When we're comparing Championship quality players we'll let you know.

62Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. - Page 4 Empty Re: Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. Thu Nov 12 2015, 21:52

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:

Why didn't they at the time then?

Because footballers in general were better in the mid-90's.

Sounds ridiculous to say after all the hype surrounding Ronaldo and Messi, but had they been born 20 years earlier they'd just be very good players rather than the world beaters they are today.

63Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. - Page 4 Empty Re: Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. Thu Nov 12 2015, 22:25

I'm not convinced, but I'm sure you're right, so I'll back you on this one.

64Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. - Page 4 Empty Re: Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. Thu Nov 12 2015, 22:36

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

bwfc1874 wrote:
Sorry Copper, you're out of your depth. When we're comparing Championship quality players we'll let you know.

Just let me know when it becomes 'undeniable' that the 'best ever striker to play for Bolton Wanderers' is Anelka.

65Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. - Page 4 Empty Re: Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. Thu Nov 12 2015, 22:39

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ability wise, Anelka is the best ever striker to play for Bolton.

If he wasn't such a Mard Arse he could have been up there with the likes of Thierry Henry

66Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. - Page 4 Empty Re: Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. Fri Nov 13 2015, 10:45

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bolton born and bred David Jack scored 144 in 295 appearances playing for us as an inside forward, playing second fiddle to Joe Smith who scored 254 in 449 games. Then we sold him to Arsenal for a then world record fee where he scored 113 in 181 games. He won the FA Cup with us twice and was the first person to score at Wembley and won the League title 3 times with Arsenal. Comparing Anelka and Klasnic favourably to the likes of DJ and Sir Nat just implies you'll claim anything to make a point.

67Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. - Page 4 Empty Re: Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. Fri Nov 13 2015, 10:55

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

wanderlust wrote:Bolton born and bred David Jack scored 144 in 295 appearances playing for us as an inside forward, playing second fiddle to Joe Smith who scored 254 in 449 games. Then we sold him to Arsenal for a then world record fee where he scored 113 in 181 games. He won the FA Cup with us twice and was the first person to score at Wembley and won the League title 3 times with Arsenal. Comparing Anelka and Klasnic favourably to the likes of DJ and Sir Nat just implies you'll claim anything to make a point.
Wow. Wish we could find a striker like that now, he sounds like he was an amazing player. How much was the world record fee back then lusty?

68Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. - Page 4 Empty Re: Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. Fri Nov 13 2015, 10:56

It's pretty much impossible to compare players from the modern era to the past as it's almost a different game in terms of the pitch conditions, refereeing, equipment, training etc. So really it's a pretty irrelevant argument.

But in terms of ability, in the modern era it's just blatant that Anelka is the best we had. He won absolutely everything there is to in the game and played for a host of the best sides in the world over a number of years. He'll never mean as much to the club and fans as the likes of McGinlay but he symbolises the ridiculous over achievement of the Allardyce era that we had a player like that in our team.

69Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. - Page 4 Empty Re: Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. Fri Nov 13 2015, 11:23

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:It's pretty much impossible to compare players from the modern era to the past as it's almost a different game in terms of the pitch conditions, refereeing, equipment, training etc. So really it's a pretty irrelevant argument.

I think it's quite easy. As you say, players from the past played on shit pitches with shit equipment having had a shit training session followed by shit on toast for tea.

And yet they could control a ball, cross a ball, shoot straight, stay on their feet when a gust of wind passed by, and didn't get injured every other day.

If the likes of Worthington, Lofthouse and a thousand others were playing today the likes of Pratley, Madine and Danns would be playing for the Dog and Duck on a Sunday morning.

70Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. - Page 4 Empty Re: Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. Fri Nov 13 2015, 12:00

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bwfc1958 wrote:
wanderlust wrote:Bolton born and bred David Jack scored 144 in 295 appearances playing for us as an inside forward, playing second fiddle to Joe Smith who scored 254 in 449 games. Then we sold him to Arsenal for a then world record fee where he scored 113 in 181 games. He won the FA Cup with us twice and was the first person to score at Wembley and won the League title 3 times with Arsenal. Comparing Anelka and Klasnic favourably to the likes of DJ and Sir Nat just implies you'll claim anything to make a point.
Wow. Wish we could find a striker like that now, he sounds like he was an amazing player. How much was the world record fee back then lusty?
10 grand - almost double the previous record.

There's a story - perhaps an urban myth - that the Wanderers were having financial difficulties at the time (familiar tale!) and that the Arsenal negotiator was drinking G & T's with the Bolton negotiators but omitting the gin so our lot got pissed and he didn't which allowed him to get the price down to an acceptable £10k.

I suspect Gartside has been stitched up like that a few times considering the prices we've sold at in recent years.

BTW at the end of career, Joe Smith became player-manager of Darwen who were still a top team at the time and he scored something like 40 goals in 50 games for them.

71Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. - Page 4 Empty Re: Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. Fri Nov 13 2015, 13:06

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I agree that it's hard comparing players from different times, it's impossible.

It's a bit like comparing Fury to Ali.

72Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. - Page 4 Empty Re: Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. Fri Nov 13 2015, 13:44

scottjames30 wrote:
It's a bit like comparing Fury to Ali.

Monica Ali would wipe the floor with Billy Fury - Fact!

Because he's dead.

73Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. - Page 4 Empty Re: Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. Fri Nov 13 2015, 17:10

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

bwfc1874 wrote:Anelka's the best striker ever to play for Bolton Wanderers - that's undeniable. I still can't believe we had a genuinely world class player in his prime.
Wrong. Quite possibly Anelka is the best striker you've seen play for Bolton Wanderers.
Lofthouse has been mentioned, I'll add Francis Lee, Frank Worthington, Neil Whatmore,  McGinlay and Walker and JB as quality strikers. 
Seen all them play bar Lofty and whilst Anelka was a joy to watch I'll bow to your misguided judgement that Anelka is the best ever to play for BWFC.
I suspect the above will no doubt bring back some happy and entertaining memories for those on here that have seen them play.
A quick toot at Wikipedia will show that some of those played at the very highest level.

74Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. - Page 4 Empty Re: Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. Fri Nov 13 2015, 17:13

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Can't believe you're even arguing it, none of those players were on anelkas level.

75Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. - Page 4 Empty Re: Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. Fri Nov 13 2015, 17:16

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Or haven't got a clue!!
As I said you can only compare what you've seen.
I happen to think the best player I've seen had the right name, he spent half his time getting the shit kicked out of him and the other half doing his magic, and even then he wasted his talent!

76Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. - Page 4 Empty Re: Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. Fri Nov 13 2015, 17:18

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Boggersbelief wrote:Can't believe you're even arguing it, none of those players were on anelkas level.
If it said so in your Shoot magazine then you must be right.
It's all subjective.

77Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. - Page 4 Empty Re: Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. Fri Nov 13 2015, 17:21

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Soul Kitchen wrote:
Boggersbelief wrote:Can't believe you're even arguing it, none of those players were on anelkas level.

It's all subjective.

Ok, in your opinion anelka wasn't the best. But your opinion is wrong, I'm afraid

78Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. - Page 4 Empty Re: Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. Fri Nov 13 2015, 17:43

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Youri Djorkaeff was the best Frenchman after Ngog to play for us.

79Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. - Page 4 Empty Re: Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. Fri Nov 13 2015, 17:48

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:
Ok, in your opinion anelka wasn't the best. But your opinion is wrong, I'm afraid

I think this is the end for you Boggers, you're really showing your lack of knowledge.

I didn't realise your demise would happen so quickly once I cut the apron strings, but clearly you are just a big bellend.

80Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. - Page 4 Empty Re: Anelka Vs Klasnic - You decide. Sat Nov 14 2015, 03:27

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Boggersbelief wrote:
Soul Kitchen wrote:

It's all subjective.

If you say so clever cnut!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum