Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » Computer security

Computer security

+8
wanderlust
boltonbonce
finlaymcdanger
Bollotom2014
Reebok Trotter
DEANO82
Natasha Whittam
Norpig
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

61Computer security - Page 4 Empty Re: Computer security Tue Jul 04 2017, 17:59

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The initial scan on Eset took about two hours. Thereafter they took about twenty minutes. I rarely do a scan these days. Real time scanning means it's caught straight away.

62Computer security - Page 4 Empty Re: Computer security Tue Jul 04 2017, 18:01

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Malwarebytes is a great tool to have. Download the free version and you can scan on demand. It'll catch anything your AV missed.

63Computer security - Page 4 Empty Re: Computer security Tue Jul 04 2017, 18:06

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Again, you need to get out more.

There are no viruses in the real world, unless you sleep with KP or Norpig.

64Computer security - Page 4 Empty Re: Computer security Tue Jul 04 2017, 18:13

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:Two pages of this shit.

Can't wait for tomorrow - what sort of door locks do you use?
I have Yale locks on my front and back PVC doors but it's a pain in the arse when aligning the key to the lock when putting it in as you put it in sideways! 

Anyone else have this trouble?

65Computer security - Page 4 Empty Re: Computer security Tue Jul 04 2017, 18:15

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I get the butler to let me in.

66Computer security - Page 4 Empty Re: Computer security Tue Jul 04 2017, 18:17

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:This is all good advice i think, i pay £80+ for Norton AV so the free ones are of interest to me.

If you don't like it start your own thread on something of interest to you - how about where to buy size 12 ladies shoes?
I'm sure you can get Norton cheaper than that! Shocked 

Why would a software company offer an antivirus for free when other companies charge?

Can't be as good really though if you think about it.

Are the virus definitions updated frequently like once a week?

Hmm...

67Computer security - Page 4 Empty Re: Computer security Tue Jul 04 2017, 18:23

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I agree KP. I got Norton for £29.99. It covers 10 devices. But I think they ramp it up to around £60 when it comes time to renew. That's why I walked away to Eset.

68Computer security - Page 4 Empty Re: Computer security Tue Jul 04 2017, 18:50

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse


I have just had a look at this link but it only gives you a 14 day free trial. After that it's £29.99 a year.

69Computer security - Page 4 Empty Re: Computer security Tue Jul 04 2017, 18:53

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:

I have just had a look at this link but it only gives you a 14 day free trial. After that it's £29.99 a year.
That's only for the paid version which scans in real time. You only need download the free version and simply scan when you feel like.
In fact,download the free trial,and,after 14 days it'll ask you if you want to purchase a subscription,or revert to the free on demand scanner.
WinWin.

70Computer security - Page 4 Empty Re: Computer security Tue Jul 04 2017, 18:55

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:
Reebok Trotter wrote:

I have just had a look at this link but it only gives you a 14 day free trial. After that it's £29.99 a year.
That's only for the paid version which scans in real time. You only need download the free version and simply scan when you feel like.
In fact,download the free trial,and,after 14 days it'll ask you if you want to purchase a subscription,or revert to the free on demand scanner.
WinWin.
 Cheers. I'll download it now! I love a bargain!  Very Happy

71Computer security - Page 4 Empty Re: Computer security Mon Nov 04 2019, 13:50

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Anyone use Malwarebytes anti virus?
Had an email from my bank saying that I can download it for free with a 3 year licence, on up to 10 devices.
Now, I'm pretty happy with my existing AV, which is F-Secure Safe, but it's costing me nearly £70 a year, so I'm wondering if Malwarebytes is a reasonable replacement.
Had a look at some reviews, but I wondered if anyone had any hands on experience with it.

72Computer security - Page 4 Empty Re: Computer security Mon Nov 04 2019, 13:53

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

I use the free version and have never had any trouble either with it or viruses since it has been installed - which reminds me I need to get the free update!

73Computer security - Page 4 Empty Re: Computer security Mon Nov 04 2019, 14:08

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:I use the free version and have never had any trouble either with it or viruses since it has been installed - which reminds me I need to get the free update!
I think the free version is an on demand scanner. I don't think it protects in real time. If it works for you though, fair play.
An expert once told me the best protection is in your head. Be sensible about sites you visit, and what you download.
Might give it a go on my Windows laptop and see how it goes.

74Computer security - Page 4 Empty Re: Computer security Mon Nov 04 2019, 14:17

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

boltonbonce wrote:
xmiles wrote:I use the free version and have never had any trouble either with it or viruses since it has been installed - which reminds me I need to get the free update!
I think the free version is an on demand scanner. I don't think it protects in real time. If it works for you though, fair play.
An expert once told me the best protection is in your head. Be sensible about sites you visit, and what you download.
Might give it a go on my Windows laptop and see how it goes.

You are almost certainly right about Malwarebytes being an on demand scanner but you are definitely right about the best protection being in your head. Smile

75Computer security - Page 4 Empty Re: Computer security Mon Nov 04 2019, 16:31

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Malwarebytes is decent product but it depends on how far you want to go with security because at the end of the day everything you ever do on the internet is recorded, sold and used. Yesterday I visited a totally unrelated website to buy a fancy vacuum flask/drinks bottle for my sister and today their ad appeared on my FB page. Spooky? Not really. Yet again I would refer you to The Great Hack which covers this in detail.

76Computer security - Page 4 Empty Re: Computer security Mon Nov 04 2019, 17:02

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:Malwarebytes is decent product but it depends on how far you want to go with security because at the end of the day everything you ever do on the internet is recorded, sold and used. Yesterday I visited a totally unrelated website to buy a fancy vacuum flask/drinks bottle for my sister and today their ad appeared on my FB page. Spooky? Not really. Yet again I would refer you to The Great Hack which covers this in detail.
You have cookies that are tracking you in the web browser you use (spyware).

Best thing to do is get some ad block protection for your browser!

77Computer security - Page 4 Empty Re: Computer security Tue Nov 05 2019, 01:40

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:
wanderlust wrote:Malwarebytes is decent product but it depends on how far you want to go with security because at the end of the day everything you ever do on the internet is recorded, sold and used. Yesterday I visited a totally unrelated website to buy a fancy vacuum flask/drinks bottle for my sister and today their ad appeared on my FB page. Spooky? Not really. Yet again I would refer you to The Great Hack which covers this in detail.
You have cookies that are tracking you in the web browser you use (spyware).

Best thing to do is get some ad block protection for your browser!
That's the how for sure.
Not something that ESET deals with? I've set Privacy to delete cookies and webdata when I close Firefox on one computer and will have a mess about with my Mac tomorrow - but suspect I may make life difficult for myself if I don't find the right balance.

78Computer security - Page 4 Empty Re: Computer security Tue Nov 05 2019, 11:32

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cookies don't really bother me, and certainly help pages to load faster.
If truth be told our privacy has gone for good. We've entered into a pact with the devil, and there's no way out.
As long as I can keep viruses, malware and ransomware at arms length, I'm content.

79Computer security - Page 4 Empty Re: Computer security Tue Nov 05 2019, 14:05

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Do any of you use Trusteer Endpoint Protection?



It was a freebie from my bank a few years ago.

80Computer security - Page 4 Empty Re: Computer security Tue Nov 05 2019, 14:44

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cajunboy wrote:Do any of you use Trusteer Endpoint Protection?




My bank used it, and it was pretty much rubbish. This change to Malwarebytes is a much better solution.

https://computing.which.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/115005579745-Should-you-use-Trusteer-Rapport-

Sponsored content



Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum