Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Computer security

+8
wanderlust
boltonbonce
finlaymcdanger
Bollotom2014
Reebok Trotter
DEANO82
Natasha Whittam
Norpig
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

81Computer security - Page 5 Empty Re: Computer security Tue Nov 05 2019, 15:22

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

boltonbonce wrote:
Cajunboy wrote:Do any of you use Trusteer Endpoint Protection?

My bank used it, and it was pretty much rubbish. This change to Malwarebytes is a much better solution.

https://computing.which.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/115005579745-Should-you-use-Trusteer-Rapport-

Yes I agree. I wouldn't use it myself.

82Computer security - Page 5 Empty Re: Computer security Tue Nov 05 2019, 15:55

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Thanks folks.

83Computer security - Page 5 Empty Re: Computer security Wed Nov 06 2019, 22:11

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I downloaded Malwarebytes Premium to give it a try on a Windows laptop. A free 3 year licence for up to ten computers seemed a bargain, but I thought I'd better test it first.
After using it for a few days, I have to say I think my bank has got this one wrong.
My CPU was almost permanently at 90-100%, and the laptop was reduced to a crawl.
I'm sticking with F-Secure. It's nearly £80 a year, but it works well, and includes a free VPN.

84Computer security - Page 5 Empty Re: Computer security Wed Nov 06 2019, 22:34

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Surprised to hear this bonce. I did have Malwarebytes Premium on a short term free trial and experienced no problems with it.

85Computer security - Page 5 Empty Re: Computer security Wed Nov 06 2019, 22:39

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What are the specs of the laptop Bonce?

86Computer security - Page 5 Empty Re: Computer security Wed Nov 06 2019, 23:18

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Intel core i5, 8GB Ram, 256 GB SSD,Windows 10 pro.

I use Macs mainly, but it's a good laptop. Never had any problems with other AV's, but it doesn't like Malwartebytes. Going like a dream since uninstalling it and returning to F-Secure.

87Computer security - Page 5 Empty Re: Computer security Wed Nov 06 2019, 23:26

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Intel core i5, 8GB Ram, 256 GB SSD,Windows 10 pro.

I use Macs mainly, but it's a good laptop. Never had any problems with other AV's, but it doesn't like Malwartebytes. Going like a dream since uninstalling it and returning to F-Secure.

Antivirus and anti malware software is generally more ram hungry than the usage of a CPU. You have 8gb which is ample for running the usual software on top of windows 10.

It could be a bug in the latest version of the software that is eating system resources.

Did you check task manager for example to see what it was using out of interest?

We used to use Norton Sytemworks 2000 back in the day with Norton Antivirus and found that to be heavily bloated and that really did slow the system down. The software wasn't cheap then either.

I moved on to the Symantec End Ppoint Protection which a lot of businesses use and is very light on system resorces.

It's also a bit keen on protection too TBH with even blocking the auto run from software. Very Happy

88Computer security - Page 5 Empty Re: Computer security Wed Nov 06 2019, 23:41

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

To be honest, I don't consider Malwarebytes a real AV. Their claim that it can replace your existing AV is a bit naughty. I'd certainly use the free version as an on demand scanner, but I think I'll stay away from it as an AV solution.
I'm sure some people have no bother with it, but I can't give it many marks out of ten.

89Computer security - Page 5 Empty Re: Computer security Thu Nov 07 2019, 20:54

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:To be honest, I don't consider Malwarebytes a real AV. Their claim that it can replace your existing AV is a bit naughty. I'd certainly use the free version as an on demand scanner, but I think I'll stay away from it as an AV solution.
I'm sure some people have no bother with it, but I can't give it many marks out of ten.

I used Malwayebytes when it first came out yonks ago along with hijack this after downloading something dodgy and it installing the usual shite such as multiple search toolbars, changing the default search and homepage settings along with popups blocking you from doing stuff on your PC.

I must be going back to the days of when Windows XP came out.

I haven't had the need to use it since so can't comment on what other software features they have incorporated into it.

Customers PC's get personal files backed up and then wiped if they have shit on them as it saves time rather than spending hours trying to remove stuff if it's really that bad.

I feel protected enough with my Symantec End Point Protection which includes network protection along with my Routers built in SPI firewall.

Malwarebytes is one of those applications I feel I can't trust to do the whole job unlike other more well known software.

90Computer security - Page 5 Empty Re: Computer security Thu Nov 07 2019, 21:04

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norton used to be very heavy, but it's great now. If I didn't use F-Secure I'd certainly use it. That or Eset.

91Computer security - Page 5 Empty Re: Computer security Thu Nov 07 2019, 22:46

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Never paid for computer security.

92Computer security - Page 5 Empty Re: Computer security Thu Nov 07 2019, 22:49

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

BoltonTillIDie wrote:Never paid for computer security.
Me neither since Norton Systemworks 2000. Very Happy

What security do use use and swear by BTID? Smile

93Computer security - Page 5 Empty Re: Computer security Thu Nov 07 2019, 22:53

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

My brain and Microsoft security essentials. Previously used AVG.

94Computer security - Page 5 Empty Re: Computer security Thu Nov 14 2019, 18:47

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Further to my bank's decision to offer customers a free three year Malwarebytes licence for up to ten devices, I checked in with the PC security channel.
My own experiment with it almost killed my computer, and this test says a lot. Avoid.

95Computer security - Page 5 Empty Re: Computer security Thu Nov 14 2019, 20:12

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Just put a roll of carpet against your back door and put those favourite comfy slippers on.

You'll be fine.

96Computer security - Page 5 Empty Re: Computer security Thu Nov 14 2019, 20:18

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cajunboy wrote:Just put a roll of carpet against your back door and put those favourite comfy slippers on.

You'll be fine.
I can't handle rolls of carpet. Getting sacked from my warehouse stacking job left me with issues.

97Computer security - Page 5 Empty Re: Computer security Thu Nov 14 2019, 20:26

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

An old pillow will do.

98Computer security - Page 5 Empty Re: Computer security Thu Nov 14 2019, 20:33

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cajunboy wrote:An old pillow will do.
I've got a couple of old bodies in the loft. They're probably mummified by now, so they might do the job.

99Computer security - Page 5 Empty Re: Computer security Fri Nov 15 2019, 17:19

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:
I've got a couple of old bodies in the loft. They're probably mummified by now, so they might do the job.
Give Bolton Museum a call, they collect old mummies.

100Computer security - Page 5 Empty Re: Computer security Fri Nov 15 2019, 20:01

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cajunboy wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:
Give Bolton Museum a call, they collect old mummies.
Probably a clue as to what's happened to Nat.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum