Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cricket's back!

+8
Growler
karlypants
BoltonTillIDie
wanderlust
boltonbonce
Norpig
Hip Priest
gloswhite
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 9]

161Cricket's back! - Page 9 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:29 am

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I never understood how Jennings - and a few others - became a left handed batter and a right handed bowler. It's not common.
(Cue: "I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous")

162Cricket's back! - Page 9 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:11 am

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

wanderlust wrote:I never understood how Jennings - and a few others - became a left handed batter and a right handed bowler. It's not common.
A cricketing friend of mine used to bat left-handed but played golf right-handed! Go figure! 
(He also bowled and threw right-handed) He was very good at all disciplines.

163Cricket's back! - Page 9 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:09 am

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:I never understood how Jennings - and a few others - became a left handed batter and a right handed bowler. It's not common.

Jimmy Anderson bowls righthanded and bats left handed and Stuart Broad bowls left and bats right!

Also Moen Ali and Ben Stokes also bowl righthanded and bet left handed.

I believe it is something to do with the dominant eye being closer to the bowler when batting.

164Cricket's back! - Page 9 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:38 am

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Sluffy wrote:

Stuart Broad bowls left and bats right!

No....Broad bats left-handed and bowls right-handed. Not like you to fail to research properly.....

165Cricket's back! - Page 9 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:51 am

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

okocha wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

Stuart Broad bowls left and bats right!

No....Broad bats left-handed and bowls right-handed. Not like you to fail to research properly.....

I'm human I make mistakes at times and am happy to admit to them.

Don't know why I posted that, must be getting a bit senile I guess as I've seen him bat and bowl enough times over the years.

Thank you for pointing out my error.

166Cricket's back! - Page 9 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:53 am

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

South Africa collapsing this morning - 32 for 5!

Great bowling from the England attack especially Robinson.

167Cricket's back! - Page 9 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:06 am

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

36 for 6 Wow!

168Cricket's back! - Page 9 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:45 pm

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bit of a thriller this game.
Approaching the end of the 2nd day of play and we've had 3 full innings already.
England need 130 to win - not much you may think but wickets have been tumbling en masse.
Openers Lees and Crawley have decided to dice with death and have started off by playing Bazball - 35 - 0 as it stands and they're slogging - trying to finish it before the light goes - and taking every risk in the book.

169Cricket's back! - Page 9 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:45 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Sluffy wrote: Has the makings of a good season for Lancs, we seem to have a decent county side and Butler is on fire in the IPL right now and looks to be out of the England squad so who knows what we could do in the various one dayers as well?

Our biggest competitor this year might well be the usual wet weather in 'sunny' Lancashire!

It did indeed turn out well for us - second in the County Championship (Yorkshire relegated too!) and runners up in two one day finals.

Shout out to Keaton Jennings who top the 'run's scored' table for the County Championship (and 6th in the averages - with the five above playing considerably less innings than him - the bloke who came second only played two innings and was 'not out' in one of them!!!).

Tom Hartley finished top of the bowling averages but to be fair he only played in three games and Jimmy Anderson had the best economy rate of just under two an over bowled but similarly only played in 4 matches.

To be honest I lost track of the players we used this season in all the various forms of cricket we played, I had to look up who several of the were!

We just fell short of winning something but end of term report - the boys done great!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/county-championship-division-one/averages

170Cricket's back! - Page 9 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:10 pm

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Caught the very end of the match between Warwickshire and Hants live on youtube.....incredibly  exciting with 5  teams' fortunes resting on the outcome. An amazing 9-wicket performance from recently-injured Norwell which meant that Lancs finished second, having already been runners-up in 2 other competitions.

Here's one cricket fan's reaction on the BBC website: 

"Please please please note, Andrew Strauss and the woeful ECB. This is proper, fantastic, amazing cricket that needs no contrivance, no hype and is the domestic game which most closely resembles Test cricket - one of the forms of the game in which you state we (England) want to be best at within 5 years. LEAVE IT ALONE!"

171Cricket's back! - Page 9 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:30 pm

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Thrilling stuff from Liam Norwell to produce a miraculous escape for Warwickshire

https://twitter.com/i/status/1575526675445477390

172Cricket's back! - Page 9 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:37 pm

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:Thrilling stuff from Liam Norwell to produce a miraculous escape for Warwickshire

https://twitter.com/i/status/1575526675445477390
Not happy with some of the LBW's but still a great bowling performance.

173Cricket's back! - Page 9 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:40 pm

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If anyone else is watching the T20 World Cup, check out Pakistan v Zimbabwe - one of the most exciting matches I've seen in a long time.

174Cricket's back! - Page 9 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:28 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Don't know if anyone has been following the cricket recently but it seems that we may have one of the great cricketers of all times in our ranks - Yorkshires, Harry Brook.

He has now scored 4 test century's in just 9 innings, including a 184 not out in the first innings of yesterdays Test Match

A bit of a write up about it...

Brilliant Brook flirting with all-time greats

For as brilliant as Brook has been at the start of his Test career - this was his seventh score in excess of 50 - this was his best effort, not only for it being his highest score, but because of the conditions, match situation and his utter dominance of the home attack.

Though Brook has beaten the previous best after nine innings - 798 runs by India's Vinod Kambli - he has a shot at an even more historic record: the fastest time to reach 1,000 runs is 12 innings, jointly held by England's Herbert Sutcliffe and West Indian Everton Weekes, two all-time greats.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/64753742

Don Bradman took 13 innings.

If he carry's on as he has then we will truly have a wonderful player to watch for the next decade or two!

175Cricket's back! - Page 9 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:43 pm

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I always follow the cricket. I know nearly about as much about cricket as I do about football. And that's a lot.

Loving this new England team, and you're right, Brook is a star in the making.

176Cricket's back! - Page 9 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:27 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

A shout out to England's amazing victory over India in the first test and setting all sorts of records in doing so.

India v England: Ollie Pope and Tom Hartley inspire all-time great victory
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/68103486

A wonderful write up about Pope's century here -
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/68121174

Ben Stokes says England's Test win over India is 'greatest triumph' since he became captain
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/68122808

And not least a great Test Match debut for Lancashire's Tom Hartley who took 7-62 in the second innings.

177Cricket's back! - Page 9 Empty Re: Cricket's back! Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:32 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

County Championship started on Friday and of course no play at all at Old Trafford due to the weather that day!

Lancashire managed to bat today and looking at the close of play score I find myself a bit 'stumped' and seek help from fellow cricket lovers please.

If you look at the close of play details for Surrey, their batsmen faced 5 overs before close of play

Five 6 ball overs mean that 30 balls were bowled yet according to the stats Rory Burns faced 17 balls and Dom Sibley 14 - 31 balls???

What have I missed?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKE1217406

11 runs were scored 7 off the bat 2 no balls and 2 leg byes.

The bowlers conceded 9 runs, 7 off the bat and the 2 no balls are added against the bowler.

An extra ball is bowled following a no ball but the no ball itself isn't counted.

No extra balls are bowled and runs aren't counted against the bowler in the event of leg byes.

Is the answer perhaps that one of the batsman scored off a no ball and that he faced a ball that 'never was' so to speak because the bowler had to bowl another ball due to it being a 'no ball'?

So in other words the bowler bowled 7 balls in a no ball over but only 6 balls are shown against him but the batsman scored a run off the no ball - so must be shown to have faced that ball (and counted as a ball faced) - if you see what I mean?

..dunno..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum