Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Public Sector Pay Rises: The End?

+11
Norpig
wanderlust
Soul Kitchen
Reebok Trotter
Angry Dad
Mr Magoo
scottjames30
bwfc71
waynagain
rammywhite
Natasha Whittam
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

21Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? - Page 2 Empty Re: Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? Thu Jun 27 2013, 01:57

waynagain

waynagain
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

If raises were linked to inflation, during a recession would wages be cut?

22Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? - Page 2 Empty Re: Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? Thu Jun 27 2013, 06:20

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc71 wrote:

Did you know that those in the public sector pay 40% of their wage towards their pension each month?  

Are you sure? I reckon 9% is much nearer the mark.

23Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? - Page 2 Empty Re: Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? Thu Jun 27 2013, 06:32

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

9 weeks in total time posting on here FFS and pontificates over other people's pay!Very Happy
Priceless.

24Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? - Page 2 Empty Re: Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? Thu Jun 27 2013, 07:12

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Most people in the private sector recognise that the majority of private sector employees will form the new pensioner underclass in coming years and resent public sector workers (including the military) having huge pensions paid for them. Conversely many public sector workers resent the private sector for having, in theory at least, the opportunity to make large sums of money (although 95% don't and come out with no or low pension) But this is not about prejudices - it's about economics. In a capitalist society, both private and public sectors can only give pay rises if the money is there.
On that basis, the concept of an automatic pay rise, regardless of whether it's affordable or not is ludicrous.
If capitalism was taken to it's logical conclusion, then public sector workers could put forward a performance-based argument for a pay rise each year e.g. my department delivered all the required services, in time, to the desired quality and we made £x savings - so pay us more and it will incentivise us to do even better next year. Conversely, under-performing public sector workers should take a reduction.
I know the system isn't perfect, but I think the link between how hard people work and what they get payed should be re-established.

25Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? - Page 2 Empty Re: Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? Thu Jun 27 2013, 07:19

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

waynagain wrote:
bwfc71 wrote:
waynagain wrote:
scottjames30 wrote:
bwfc71 wrote:I just hope either your binmen, traffic enforcers, judges, social workers, magistrates, council tax officers, passport controllers, local police officers, sewage cleaners etc etc  are reading this crap.

You moan if they do not do their job, you moan if you think there are not enough of them, you moanabout thsi that and the other and now this.....

What will you do if they were all made unemployed - who will empty your bins, who will resurface the roads, who will collect the taxes from businesses and council tax, who will make sure children cross the road safely, who will look after the streets, try to keep on top of crime, who will look after teh criminals if there are no prisons, who will check the passports at passport control, who will give legal aid? who willkeep the parks neat and tidy and safe, who will keep grass verges at a low level, who will keep the streets lights in good condition, who will paint the white lines on the roads

Publis servants do a hell of a lot of stuff which you all take for granted and yet you think you are fit to call them useless.

Basic truth is, as I have been on both sides of the fence is that in teh private sector there is far too much wastage, far too much chatter between work colleagues, far too many cigarette breaks, far too many lazying around doing sweet FA, messing around on football forums and other websites instead of doing some work.  Yes the Private sector is far superior to teh public sector - not!!!

One more thing, Natasha, as you are a business woman and supposedly up there with all teh big names, is your company ready to give pensiosn to ALL your own staff by 2015, as that will be required for ALL businesses to do by law!

The public sector do jobs that no company from teh private sector would ever do - or by law are not allowed due to wanting neutrality.  If it wasn't for the public sector would you be alive today, would you be safe and sound, would you be healthy and would you be able to read and write???

Well said Chris.

Pay raises in both private and public sectors should be based on performance. Why should somebody in the same position who is a slacker get the same pay raise as a person who workrs hard - only the slacker would agree with that.

So would you be happy not to have a pay-rise for 4 years, as its frozen, and in reality your pay will have fallen by about 7.5%?

The rate-of-inflation payrise should be the minimum anyone, and everyone, should get each year due to increasing costs of living!

The majority of Public Sector workers are overpaid when compaired to Private Sector workers doing a similar job, and even with a 4 year pay freeze they would still be making more.

Are they?

I think you should do some research!

Accountants get paid more in the Private Sector
Teachers get paid more in teh Private sector
Doctors and Nurses get paid more in the Private Sector
Refuse Collectors get paid more in teh Private SSector
CEO's get paid more in teh Private Sector
Managers get paid more in the private sector

The list goes on and before you start about pensions, by the end of 2015 EVERY company, whether be a single person company or a multi-international company, has to give EVERY one of its workforce a company penison, above and beyond their salary by law!!!!!!

Lets look at the recent history of the 2 sectors.

Lloyds TSB bank - Failed - had to be bailed out using public sector money!
HBOS - Failed - had to be bailed out using public sector money
RBS Group - Failed - had to be bailed out using public sector money
Northern Rock - Failed - had to be bailed out using public sector money
Bradford & Bingley BS - Failed - had to be bailed out using public sector money
North East Trains - Failed - had to be bailed out using public sector money
again the l;ist goes on and lets not forget the number of people unemployed and having to use benefits using public sector money - public sector jobs being decreased by another 144,000 over next couple of years - yep more benefits will have to be handed out as the number of private sector jobs does not cover the number of public sector jobs being lost!!! Or what about those on minmum wage or living wage which needs benefits to live whilst their bosses and CEO's are raking it, along with the shareholders - who have to bail out those people - yep the public sector.

Therefore why blame the public sector for the ills of teh country when its definitely the private sector that has murdered the economy and livlihood of people!

26Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? - Page 2 Empty Re: Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? Thu Jun 27 2013, 07:41

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm not sure they do get paid more. The private sector has all the lowest paid jobs for the many (factory workers and shop assistants etc) and the highest paid jobs for the few. The difference is that all public sector workers get salary plus all the Employment Act legal benefits and a pension which gives a false picture of how much public sector employees actually get when the on-costs are included - it's not just what's in the pay packet - you have to include pension schemes, healthcare, holiday pay and other benefits to get a real picture.
The private sector often acts illegally, often not paying the minimum wage, not giving staff paid holidays and not making a pension contribution - and if they do it is often at the lowest level they can get away with.
It's true that top earners in the private sector can get more than their public sector counterparts but that is only because the vast majority of workers in the private sector are significantly underpaid compared to their public sector counterparts. Agricultural workers in this area receive around £3 an hour and get no benefits whatsoever - and will never be able to retire.

27Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? - Page 2 Empty Re: Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? Thu Jun 27 2013, 08:16

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

It's a fact that the rich will always get richer, cos greed is a human frailty insomuch as the more they have the more they want, and the poor, unfortunately, will have to pay for it.
What the fook do multi millionaire politicians know about the lifestyle of a shit house cleaner? Fook all and hence the ability and means to dictate.
In a perfect world people would ask themselves but for the grace that would be me, but ask yourself do you?
It is what it is!

28Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? - Page 2 Empty Re: Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? Thu Jun 27 2013, 12:42

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc71 wrote:

Did you know that those in the public sector pay 40% of their wage towards their pension each month?  How much, percentage wise, from your salary,do you pay towards your pension, or will you be relying on state pension which is paid for by everyone???

Again you ought to be alert about pensions as by end 2015 anyone in work, whether public or private, will have a pension paid for by the employers, which will be funded by the tax-payer, as well as paying towards the State pension!!!  Your attitude will change.

40%? Are you on drugs? I'd be surprised if it was anything higher than 10%.

But that's not the point, the taxpayer is still contributing to public sector pensions and that's not on.

But forget all that Chris, the proof is in the pudding as they say. If your new venture takes off are you going to give your staff a guaranteed pay-rise every year?

29Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? - Page 2 Empty Re: Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? Thu Jun 27 2013, 13:05

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

a lot of public sector bashing on here. I work for the NHS and we do have increments built into our pay scales. If you start a new job you start at the bottom of the scale and as you learn the job and progress you do receive an increment each year.

We also have appraisals so if someone is not doing their job properly they can be held back until they have shown an improvement. I am at the top of my scale now so don't receive any more increments, also as mentioned by someone else Public sector worker have had no cost of living pay rises for the last few years and only this year received a 1% increase, nowhere near the level of inflation! So in effect i am being paid less than i was say 4 years ago due to rising inflation.

30Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? - Page 2 Empty Re: Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? Thu Jun 27 2013, 13:10

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:a lot of public sector bashing on here. I work for the NHS and we do have increments built into our pay scales. If you start a new job you start at the bottom of the scale and as you learn the job and progress you do receive an increment each year.

We also have appraisals so if someone is not doing their job properly they can be held back until they have shown an improvement. I am at the top of my scale now so don't receive any more increments, also as mentioned by someone else Public sector worker have had no cost of living pay rises for the last few years and only this year received a 1% increase, nowhere near the level of inflation! So in effect i am being paid less than i was say 4 years ago due to rising inflation.

I'm not bashing you or anyone else. I totally respect anyone working within the public sector, especially the NHS.

However, rises of any sort should not be guaranteed...you should have to earn them. The cost of living argument is no different to someone working in the private sector - yet most private sector workers accept that when the economy is in the shitter they won't get any sort of payrise. Public workers seem to think they should be immune from reality.

31Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? - Page 2 Empty Re: Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? Thu Jun 27 2013, 13:37

waynagain

waynagain
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I went to MacDonalds in Bolton once and saw all the employee Rolls Royce's parked in the car park. How much does Primark pay per hour? How about B & M Bargains?

32Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? - Page 2 Empty Re: Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? Thu Jun 27 2013, 13:50

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The point of "cost of living" rises is to ensure that people's standard of living doesn't decline. But surely the whole point of austerity is that we have to accept a reduction in our standard of living? When the country is skint and heavily in debt then maintaining existing standards of living does nothing to pay off the debt. How that burden is shared is a different question, but historically the vast majority of private sector employees don't get a "cost of living" rise. You either do the job for whatever the employer is willing to pay you or fuck off - and there's no union to protect you.

33Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? - Page 2 Empty Re: Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? Thu Jun 27 2013, 14:35

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:The point of "cost of living" rises is to ensure that people's standard of living doesn't decline. But surely the whole point of austerity is that we have to accept a reduction in our standard of living? When the country is skint and heavily in debt then maintaining existing standards of living does nothing to pay off the debt. How that burden is shared is a different question, but historically the vast majority of private sector employees don't get a "cost of living" rise. You either do the job for whatever the employer is willing to pay you or fuck off - and there's no union to protect you.

all good points, i earn a decent wage so my pay freeze has not affected me too much yet. What pisses me off is that the Government always looks to punish the poorer amongst us yet the rich get more tax breaks and find ways round having to pay more tax and contribute more.

This Govenment is really pandering to all the kneejerk issues, imigration, public sector pay, benefits etc just to try and make it look like they are following public opinion yet fat cat bosses and bankers are still coining it in with no regulation.

Last edited by Norpig on Thu Jun 27 2013, 14:36; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : crap spelling!)

34Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? - Page 2 Empty Re: Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? Thu Jun 27 2013, 15:40

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Well said Norpig.

This Tory government will never make the rich pay. 

Look at all the bullshit Cameron and Osborne have been talking about cracking down on tax evasion and making things more transparent. What they have actually done is introduced legislation making it easier for rich people and companies to avoid tax. The so called transparency amounts to precisely nothing. Knowing the names of the owners of tax haven companies (if it even happens) doesn't mean that they will be paying any more tax than they presently do.

35Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? - Page 2 Empty Re: Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? Thu Jun 27 2013, 15:50

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

The tories aren't going to pay any more tax if they can help it and what's more they have the wherewithall not to. Al this pampering to immigration restrictions et al is just bullshit to deflect the spotlight from them.
I noticed Vince Cable in an interview mentioned all the problems caused by the banks to the measures having to be taken and the past governments deeds weren't mentioned.

36Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? - Page 2 Empty Re: Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? Thu Jun 27 2013, 16:38

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote: Public workers seem to think they should be immune from reality.

What part of the public service do you work in then ?

37Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? - Page 2 Empty Re: Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? Thu Jun 27 2013, 17:57

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote:What part of the public service do you work in then ?

I don't. But I deal with them every day and the wastage is unbelievable.

38Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? - Page 2 Empty Re: Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? Thu Jun 27 2013, 18:00

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
scottjames30 wrote:What part of the public service do you work in then ?

I don't. But I deal with them every day and the wastage is unbelievable.

Are they really that bad ?

This government is starting to hit them hard.

39Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? - Page 2 Empty Re: Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? Thu Jun 27 2013, 18:03

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote:
Are they really that bad ?

This government are starting to hit them hard.

I've said it before on here. A member of my family works for Fylde Borough Council, she designs posters and other literature. She'll get a project for a few weeks then they'll tell her to go home on full pay until the next project which can sometimes be a couple of months away. There are several people in the department doing exactly he same - and this sort of thing goes on in every council in the country.

Would that happen in the private sector? Would it fuck!

40Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? - Page 2 Empty Re: Public Sector Pay Rises: The End? Thu Jun 27 2013, 18:05

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The private sector is where the money is though, you might have to work harder for it, but you can earn more.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum