Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I'm With Alan Brazil

+10
xmiles
Reebok Trotter
Hipster_Nebula
Sluffy
Keegan
Soul Kitchen
doffcocker
Boggersbelief
scottjames30
Natasha Whittam
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

1I'm With Alan Brazil Empty I'm With Alan Brazil Wed 13 Aug - 18:09

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

TalkSport is today under pressure to sack popular breakfast show presenter Alan Brazil after the ex-footballer suggested suicide was selfish and he had little sympathy for actor Robin Williams who committed suicide this week.

Although the radio station has apologised for the comments, Brazil himself has refused to apologise and has repeated his opinions about suicide.

I totally sympathise with Mr Brazil, I found myself in a similar position when Gary Speed killed himself - I said it was totally selfish and my thoughts were with his family, not Mr Speed himself. Of course I was vilified by people across the BWFC forum world.

It seems if some random bloke from Bolton tops himself he's taken the cowardly way out, but if a celebrity chooses to end it he/she is a hero and cannot be cowardly in any way.

But this isn't really a thread about suicide, it's more about why people can no longer give an opinion without being slagged off by the PC brigade. Just last week MP Bill Etheridge described Hitler as a "magnetic and forceful" performer. Ok, not the cleverest words ever used considering the current climate, but technically what he said was true. But Mr Etheridge has been treated like he said Hitler was his hero and he hoped to follow in his footsteps and eradicate the Jewish population.

Do you agree people should be able to say what they like as long as it's legal?

2I'm With Alan Brazil Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Wed 13 Aug - 18:15

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What if a demon possesses someone and they kill themselves , is it selfish then ?

I watched something like this once .

3I'm With Alan Brazil Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Wed 13 Aug - 18:19

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote:What if a demon possesses someone and they kill themselves , is it selfish then ?

Are you high?

4I'm With Alan Brazil Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Wed 13 Aug - 18:19

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:
scottjames30 wrote:What if a demon possesses someone and they kill themselves , is it selfish then ?

Are you high?

No, are you?

5I'm With Alan Brazil Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Wed 13 Aug - 18:32

You start one of these threads every time this hits the news, I think you need to be more sensitive to how other people feel. Think what you like, but keep this sort of thing to yourself because you clearly don't understand depression and the subsequent mental state of people who suffer with it you're over-simplifying a seriously complex issue.

6I'm With Alan Brazil Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Wed 13 Aug - 18:35

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:You start one of these threads every time this hits the news, I think you need to be more sensitive to how other people feel. Think what you like, but keep this sort of thing to yourself because you clearly don't understand depression and the subsequent mental state of people who suffer with it you're over-simplifying a seriously complex issue.

This thread is about freedom of speech you plonker.

7I'm With Alan Brazil Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Wed 13 Aug - 18:39

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nats just been put in her place.

8I'm With Alan Brazil Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Wed 13 Aug - 18:39

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I find it laughable that somebody can be called cowardly for putting a rope around their neck. It takes either a lot of courage to go through with something like that, or unhappiness, or both.

9I'm With Alan Brazil Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Wed 13 Aug - 18:48

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:Nats just been put in her place.

What, by a bellend who missed the point of the thread?

10I'm With Alan Brazil Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Wed 13 Aug - 18:50

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:I find it laughable that somebody can be called cowardly for putting a rope around their neck. It takes either a lot of courage to go through with something like that, or unhappiness, or both.

Depends. If you have an incurable disease then I agree.

If you have a shitload of debt or children then I very much disagree.

11I'm With Alan Brazil Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Wed 13 Aug - 19:03

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

bwfc1874 wrote:You start one of these threads every time this hits the news, I think you need to be more sensitive to how other people feel. Think what you like, but keep this sort of thing to yourself because you clearly don't understand depression and the subsequent mental state of people who suffer with it you're over-simplifying a seriously complex issue.
You don't need to read it if you don't want!?
But what the hell, read it anyway, it could give an opening for going into argumentative twat default mode?
Did somebody earlier mention Megson was a characterless cnut?

12I'm With Alan Brazil Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Wed 13 Aug - 19:07

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Have you got back up , Nat?

13I'm With Alan Brazil Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Wed 13 Aug - 19:08

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I have always thought that topping yourself is a rather selfish act. It does take some amount of bollox to do it but the devastation left behind for the family and loved ones would somewhat leave a lack of closure.
I speak from experience, albeit thirty odd years ago, of a close friends experience in the matter.

14I'm With Alan Brazil Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Wed 13 Aug - 19:20

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Boggersbelief wrote:Nats just been put in her place.
In the kitchen?

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

15I'm With Alan Brazil Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Wed 13 Aug - 19:22

Natasha Whittam wrote:

This thread is about freedom of speech you plonker.
Ah fair point, I stopped reading half way as I thought you were recycling again! My point still stands though.

On freedom of speech, people can say what they want behind closed doors IMO. But if they try and promote views that would offend/cause tension through a public medium then I have an issue with it. It's too sensitive an issue for a lot of people.

16I'm With Alan Brazil Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Wed 13 Aug - 19:46

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:
On freedom of speech, people can say what they want behind closed doors IMO. But if they try and promote views that would offend/cause tension through a public medium then I have an issue with it. It's too sensitive an issue for a lot of people.

So in public people should stick to PC views?

17I'm With Alan Brazil Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Wed 13 Aug - 19:48

In the context of a breakfast radio show about sport, yes they should definitely stick to PC views. They're there to entertain and deliver sports news, not offend people.

18I'm With Alan Brazil Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Wed 13 Aug - 19:52

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I found it very disturbing that at least two people went to the trouble of photoshopping a picture of a hanged man into that of Robin Williams and sending it to his daughter via twitter.

What's that all about? Is it meant to be funny, or to upset someone they don't know (who by the way have just had the shock of having their father kill himself - you'd think she'd be totally upset already), or are they seeking attention, or are they just stupid or sick or something?

Freedom of speach is too good for some of the cretins out there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/28773734

19I'm With Alan Brazil Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Wed 13 Aug - 19:56

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I agree, but on the flip side is that what people do when parents die these days - straight onto Twitter?

20I'm With Alan Brazil Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Wed 13 Aug - 19:58

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's the forum too, this is on a blokey channel like talksport and heightening the stigma amongst men that it's "weak" to need/seek help isn't helpful IMO, not saying he shouldn't be allowed to say what he wants but maybe a bit of forethought might be good, especially when it's not a forum for debate or even a magazine show. I hope he's not sacked though, might be an opportunity for him to educate himself about depression a bit more. 

this kind of thing might be better suited to a newspaper column or something. 

He also said he was glad it "wasn't robbie williams" which is honestly just a fairly weird and spiteful comment, but again, entitled to have that view.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum