Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I'm With Alan Brazil

+10
xmiles
Reebok Trotter
Hipster_Nebula
Sluffy
Keegan
Soul Kitchen
doffcocker
Boggersbelief
scottjames30
Natasha Whittam
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 6]

41I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 10:03

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Threads always change direction once they're past 30 replies.

42I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 10:12

Being a bit "pissed off" is a transient phase, which is generally a reaction to local, short-term stimulus and doesn't leave a lasting mark :- you back Bolton to beat Watford 4-0 but they lose - you're pissed off.

There aren't any significant changes to the brain's chemical make-up and the feeling passes.

Clinical depression is a completely different (and easily diagnosed) condition, which sees long-term changes to the brain's chemistry and has a massively negative effect on the neural pathways in the brain and isn't dependent on short-term stimulus, like when your bet on the match goes down, it's a state of "being", not mood.

There is a world of difference......

43I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 10:22

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I suggest that nobody wants to commit suicide , its probably a mental problem , Its selfish to come out with comments like  'its selfish to commit suicide' as  they've never had these mental problems and therefore don't know what they're talking about.

44I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 10:50

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

bwfc1874 wrote:
Breadman wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:I'll agree with the last 2. But does anybody need to say niggardly really?

Its roots and derivation have absolutely nothing to do with the "N" word, so why shouldn't it be used?

It's like thinking you can't say "puff of smoke" because it might offend gay people.

It wouldn't offend me, but I just think if some people are offended by it why bother using it? Surely nobody's going to miss saying it.

So you basically condone ignorance rather than challenge it? Following this logic we should make homosexual acts illegal because they offend some people.

45I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 11:45

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:

Clinical depression is a completely different (and easily diagnosed) condition, which sees long-term changes to the brain's chemistry and has a massively negative effect on the neural pathways in the brain and isn't dependent on short-term stimulus, like when your bet on the match goes down, it's a state of "being", not mood.

How does a doctor see changes in your brain's chemistry during a 15 minute slot?

I guy who works for me, I'll call him Bryan, is currently off with "depression" because his wife left him taking the kids. He rang in to say he had depression, I said "bullshit, there's no such thing" and told him if he didn't get a doctors note I would sack him. Literally 24 hours later he had a doctor's note confirming he had depression.

What a load of bollocks.

46I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 12:04

Bye...!

47I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 12:07

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So, in short, there's no proof that depression exists. It's simply a posh label for unhappy and an easy way for doctors to get rid of troublesome patients.

Bye!

48I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 12:27

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:So, in short, there's no proof that depression exists. It's simply a posh label for unhappy and an easy way for doctors to get rid of troublesome patients.

Bye!

Very insensitive and immature thing to say. I know your whole thing is to be controversial but someone that you know could be silently suffering from depression...

49I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 12:28

No, there's plenty of proof but I'm not prepared to sit here like one of the usual stooges you set up by playing devil's advocate, proposing your half-baked postulations and then sitting back, smirking as they try and argue with you.

And you then laugh at them from behind your keyboard, saying "Ha ha...this is soooo easy!"

We both know depression's real and whilst I'll generally play along with you for comic effect, I'm not doing it this time because this subject is a bit personal for me and it's starting to feel a bit like joking about it is in very bad taste.

Bye!

(Again.)

(That was all aimed at Nat, not Boggers by the way.)

50I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 12:36

She does the same topic about not believing in depression every few months, no idea if she's playing stupid just for effect to be honest. As you say, not worth taking the time over!

51I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 12:39

xmiles wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:
Breadman wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:I'll agree with the last 2. But does anybody need to say niggardly really?

Its roots and derivation have absolutely nothing to do with the "N" word, so why shouldn't it be used?

It's like thinking you can't say "puff of smoke" because it might offend gay people.

It wouldn't offend me, but I just think if some people are offended by it why bother using it? Surely nobody's going to miss saying it.

So you basically condone ignorance rather than challenge it? Following this logic we should make homosexual acts illegal because they offend some people.

I'm just saying it's not up to us what other people get offended by, so is it really a problem not to use it on a public broadcast? Why not just avoid the word it's not a massive loss really is it?

52I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 12:45

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:No, there's plenty of proof but I'm not prepared to sit here like one of the usual stooges you set up by playing devil's advocate, proposing your half-baked postulations and then sitting back, smirking as they try and argue with you.

And you then laugh at them from behind your keyboard, saying "Ha ha...this is soooo easy!"

We both know depression's real and whilst I'll generally play along with you for comic effect, I'm not doing it this time because this subject is a bit personal for me and it's starting to feel a bit like joking about it is in very bad taste.

Bye!

(Again.)

(That was all aimed at Nat, not Boggers by the way.)

Brilliant, someone disagrees with you so they must be doing it for effect.

You should answer my question above. How can a doctor tell if someone is really "depressed"? The simple fact is they can't, the term was invented so doctors could give a name to anything the hypercondriacs threw at them.

53I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 15:15

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

bwfc1874 wrote:

I'm just saying it's not up to us what other people get offended by, so is it really a problem not to use it on a public broadcast? Why not just avoid the word it's not a massive loss really is it?

So every time someone (anyone?) is offended by a word because they don't understand it we should stop using it in public? That's what you are saying and that appears to me to be a ridiculous position to take. What harm is done by an idiot being offended?

54I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 16:24

No, Im talking specifically about the word niggardly I just think it's not worth offending someone for a pretty pointless word, I probably feel that way because I never use it. 

I agree with you about brain-storm and the other one you mentioned. Suppose I'd approach each word differently and on an individual basis. To be honest it's not something I give a huge amount of thought too, I'm really not that bothered about it either way. I was just giving my opinion on the 3 word you mentioned.

55I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 16:44

For me it's more about the fact that some people have obviously taken one look at "niggardly" (a word they're probably not familiar with unlike us educated types on here) and thought "Ooh! That sounds like the N" word, I'd better not use it."

Throw in the fact that it carries a negative connotation and bingo! you've got a word that will slowly slip from the English language.

Even though it has absolutely nothing to do with the other word and never has.

It doesn't even share a root.

As Xmiles says, it's ignorance that's to blame here and if more people actually stopped for a minute, thought about things more and formed a rational opinion, we'd have a far more civilised society in my view.

This is precisely why you see Paediatricians being beaten up by retarded mobs of Facebook devotees...

56I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 16:46

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:

This is precisely why you see Paediatricians being beaten up by retarded mobs of Facebook devotees...

Hipster has already apologised for his mistake, don't labour the point.

57I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 16:52

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

bwfc1874 wrote:No, Im talking specifically about the word niggardly I just think it's not worth offending someone for a pretty pointless word, I probably feel that way because I never use it. 

I agree with you about brain-storm and the other one you mentioned. Suppose I'd approach each word differently and on an individual basis. To be honest it's not something I give a huge amount of thought too, I'm really not that bothered about it either way. I was just giving my opinion on the 3 word you mentioned.

I don't understand your position on using potentially offensive words. Like me you are happy to use brain-storm but that usage apparently offends some people. Yet you choose not to use niggardly because "it's not worth offending someone". This doesn't seem very consistent.

I don't want to get hung up on just one word (I can't remember ever using niggardly in a conversation). This is about accepting that just because someone says something is offensive we should think long and hard before banning it otherwise free speech will gradually disappear.

58I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 17:19

xmiles wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:No, Im talking specifically about the word niggardly I just think it's not worth offending someone for a pretty pointless word, I probably feel that way because I never use it. 

I don't understand your position on using potentially offensive words. Like me you are happy to use brain-storm but that usage apparently offends some people. Yet you choose not to use niggardly because "it's not worth offending someone". This doesn't seem very consistent.

I don't want to get hung up on just one word (I can't remember ever using niggardly in a conversation). This is about accepting that just because someone says something is offensive we should think long and hard before banning it otherwise free speech will gradually disappear.

I get why niggardly would offend someone (if they misheard it or if it has been misused in the past). I've never understood why brain-storm is, I heard epilepsy but that seems too loose to me.

You're probably right I'm not being very consistent and your points are much more thought out than mine.

59I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 20:10

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Apart from the issues involved in the interesting debate above, the other thing which I find fascinating is the number of comedians who suffer from depression. 

I'd always understood that it was air-traffic controllers who suffered the highest suicide rate, though recently I was told that teachers suffer the greatest number of nervous breakdowns. Does anyone have the latest facts and figures to set me straight?

60I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 20:25

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote: Does anyone have the latest facts and figures to set me straight?

If you want to look straight then ditch the boy shorts in your avatar and wear a pair of combat trousers instead. Never underestimate the importance of making a good first appearance.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum