Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I'm With Alan Brazil

+10
xmiles
Reebok Trotter
Hipster_Nebula
Sluffy
Keegan
Soul Kitchen
doffcocker
Boggersbelief
scottjames30
Natasha Whittam
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 6]

21I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Wed Aug 13 2014, 20:02

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote: He also said he was glad it "wasn't robbie williams" which is honestly just a fairly weird and spiteful comment, but again, entitled to have that view.

If he'd been a good friend of Robbie Williams that would have been fair comment, but apparently he's never met the bloke. Very weird thing to say.

22I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Wed Aug 13 2014, 20:33

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Brazil is entitled to his opinion whether we agree with him or not. Personally, I thought his comments were a tad insensitive for public broadcast but I don't think he should be disciplined for it. Brian Moore pretty much echoed the general consensus of public opinion.

I thought Robin Williams was a comic genius and I was saddened to hear that he had taken his own life. He must have been in a really depressed frame of mind and the devastating effect of his death on close family and friends must be overwhelming.

I don't condone suicide but I don't think we can simply dismiss it as a form of weakness on the part of people who choose to take their own lives.

My Godfather committed suicide leaving behind a loving wife and daughter. He was afflicted with Tinnitus for many years and he killed himself because he could no longer live with the continual buzzing sound in his ears. He certainly wasn't a coward or a weak man.

Brazil was insensitive with his comments but it doesn't make him a bad person. 

23I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Wed Aug 13 2014, 20:54

Very bold of you to say, RT.

24I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Wed Aug 13 2014, 21:10

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Apologies for my boldness. I'm on holiday and my internet access leaves much to be desired.

25I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Wed Aug 13 2014, 23:10

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Do you agree people should be able to say what they like as long as it's legal?

Yes. People seem to think they have the "right" not to be offended these days. Just because something is offensive to some people doesn't mean it should be banned. Idiots will always find something to be offended by. Here are three words/phrases that some people are offended by because they don't understand what these words actually mean:
1. niggardly
2. brain storm
3. nitty gritty

26I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Wed Aug 13 2014, 23:24

I'll agree with the last 2. But does anybody need to say niggardly really?

27I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Wed Aug 13 2014, 23:25

I don't think Brazil should be sacked by the way, just not bother saying in future.

28I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 08:58

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

an old friend of mine recently commited suicide, you may have seen it in the Bolton News this week, very sad news as he was only my age and had a wife and kids.
We had lost touch over the years but had been good friends right through school,and beyond for a few years so i can't really say what his state of mind was like but it must have seemed like the only way out of whatever problems he had.
Whether that can be called cowardly is open to discussion, i just hope i never get to that stage.

29I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 09:01

bwfc1874 wrote:I'll agree with the last 2. But does anybody need to say niggardly really?

Its roots and derivation have absolutely nothing to do with the "N" word, so why shouldn't it be used?

It's like thinking you can't say "puff of smoke" because it might offend gay people.

30I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 09:07

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If I get to the point of feeling ready to top myself I hope I have the wherewithal to think what else I could do before I go. After all that is the point where an individual has absolutely nothing left to lose. Mortgage the house and have a party until the money is gone and then go to the Himalayas to do it. Try everything. Only when everything has been explored would I be ready. And the process of trying everything may change my mind. Suicide is unimaginative IMO.

31I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 09:25

It's far too easy to say "Oh, I know I would never do that."

I'm no expert, but I would imagine that the majority of suicide cases are severely depressed - you'd have to be, by definition.

And by "depressed", I mean complete with clinical diagnosis, not just a bit fed up.

Clinical depression causes changes to the brain's chemistry and you literally become a different person to the one all your family and friends know, therefore, things which you would never have imagined possible and actions well out of previous character become eminently feasible.

It's a complicated subject and you can't just throw a blanket over everybody who feels so bereft of hope that they take their own life and label them cowards.

As for Brazil, I don't think he should be sacked....just told to stop and think more in future before offering his "considered" opinion.

32I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 09:30

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:

And by "depressed", I mean complete with clinical diagnosis, not just a bit fed up.

I am yet to be convinced there is a difference. Just because an "expert" says you're depressed does that mean it's ok to top yourself?

You only get one life, you should use it. What a waste.

33I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 09:31

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

You only get one life, you should use it. What a waste.
Not according to Buddhism.

34I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 09:33

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote:

I'm not a Buddha though.

35I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 09:37

Natasha Whittam wrote:
scottjames30 wrote:

I'm not a Buddha though.

...and neither are you a medical professional, so yet again, you are talking through the one functioning orifice left in your knickers.

A very close family member of mine suffered for years with clinical depression and believe me, it's a very real condition.

36I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 09:38

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
scottjames30 wrote:

I'm not a Buddha though.

I know, I tend to favour the Buddha.

37I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 09:39

Breadman wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:I'll agree with the last 2. But does anybody need to say niggardly really?

Its roots and derivation have absolutely nothing to do with the "N" word, so why shouldn't it be used?

It's like thinking you can't say "puff of smoke" because it might offend gay people.

It wouldn't offend me, but I just think if some people are offended by it why bother using it? Surely nobody's going to miss saying it.

38I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 09:40

Breadman wrote:It's far too easy to say "Oh, I know I would never do that."

I'm no expert, but I would imagine that the majority of suicide cases are severely depressed - you'd have to be, by definition.

Clinical depression causes changes to the brain's chemistry and you literally become a different person to the one all your family and friends know, therefore, things which you would never have imagined possible and actions well out of previous character become eminently feasible.

It's a complicated subject and you can't just throw a blanket over everybody who feels so bereft of hope that they take their own life and label them cowards.

As for Brazil, I don't think he should be sacked....just told to stop and think more in future before offering his "considered" opinion.

Spot on.

39I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 09:57

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:

A very close family member of mine suffered for years with clinical depression and believe me, it's a very real condition.

I'm not saying people don't get "down" or "pissed off" or "unhappy", but the question I always ask that no one can give an answer to is what is the difference between depression and being unhappy?

I don't think there's any difference, but if you're labelled "depressed" you get sympathy, if you're just unhappy people tell you to pull yourself together and go and get pissed.

40I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 10:01

This thread is about freedom of speech you plonker.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum