Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I'm With Alan Brazil

+10
xmiles
Reebok Trotter
Hipster_Nebula
Sluffy
Keegan
Soul Kitchen
doffcocker
Boggersbelief
scottjames30
Natasha Whittam
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 6]

31I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 09:25

It's far too easy to say "Oh, I know I would never do that."

I'm no expert, but I would imagine that the majority of suicide cases are severely depressed - you'd have to be, by definition.

And by "depressed", I mean complete with clinical diagnosis, not just a bit fed up.

Clinical depression causes changes to the brain's chemistry and you literally become a different person to the one all your family and friends know, therefore, things which you would never have imagined possible and actions well out of previous character become eminently feasible.

It's a complicated subject and you can't just throw a blanket over everybody who feels so bereft of hope that they take their own life and label them cowards.

As for Brazil, I don't think he should be sacked....just told to stop and think more in future before offering his "considered" opinion.

32I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 09:30

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:

And by "depressed", I mean complete with clinical diagnosis, not just a bit fed up.

I am yet to be convinced there is a difference. Just because an "expert" says you're depressed does that mean it's ok to top yourself?

You only get one life, you should use it. What a waste.

33I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 09:31

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

You only get one life, you should use it. What a waste.
Not according to Buddhism.

34I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 09:33

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote:

I'm not a Buddha though.

35I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 09:37

Natasha Whittam wrote:
scottjames30 wrote:

I'm not a Buddha though.

...and neither are you a medical professional, so yet again, you are talking through the one functioning orifice left in your knickers.

A very close family member of mine suffered for years with clinical depression and believe me, it's a very real condition.

36I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 09:38

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
scottjames30 wrote:

I'm not a Buddha though.

I know, I tend to favour the Buddha.

37I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 09:39

Breadman wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:I'll agree with the last 2. But does anybody need to say niggardly really?

Its roots and derivation have absolutely nothing to do with the "N" word, so why shouldn't it be used?

It's like thinking you can't say "puff of smoke" because it might offend gay people.

It wouldn't offend me, but I just think if some people are offended by it why bother using it? Surely nobody's going to miss saying it.

38I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 09:40

Breadman wrote:It's far too easy to say "Oh, I know I would never do that."

I'm no expert, but I would imagine that the majority of suicide cases are severely depressed - you'd have to be, by definition.

Clinical depression causes changes to the brain's chemistry and you literally become a different person to the one all your family and friends know, therefore, things which you would never have imagined possible and actions well out of previous character become eminently feasible.

It's a complicated subject and you can't just throw a blanket over everybody who feels so bereft of hope that they take their own life and label them cowards.

As for Brazil, I don't think he should be sacked....just told to stop and think more in future before offering his "considered" opinion.

Spot on.

39I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 09:57

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:

A very close family member of mine suffered for years with clinical depression and believe me, it's a very real condition.

I'm not saying people don't get "down" or "pissed off" or "unhappy", but the question I always ask that no one can give an answer to is what is the difference between depression and being unhappy?

I don't think there's any difference, but if you're labelled "depressed" you get sympathy, if you're just unhappy people tell you to pull yourself together and go and get pissed.

40I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 10:01

This thread is about freedom of speech you plonker.

41I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 10:03

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Threads always change direction once they're past 30 replies.

42I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 10:12

Being a bit "pissed off" is a transient phase, which is generally a reaction to local, short-term stimulus and doesn't leave a lasting mark :- you back Bolton to beat Watford 4-0 but they lose - you're pissed off.

There aren't any significant changes to the brain's chemical make-up and the feeling passes.

Clinical depression is a completely different (and easily diagnosed) condition, which sees long-term changes to the brain's chemistry and has a massively negative effect on the neural pathways in the brain and isn't dependent on short-term stimulus, like when your bet on the match goes down, it's a state of "being", not mood.

There is a world of difference......

43I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 10:22

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I suggest that nobody wants to commit suicide , its probably a mental problem , Its selfish to come out with comments like  'its selfish to commit suicide' as  they've never had these mental problems and therefore don't know what they're talking about.

44I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 10:50

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

bwfc1874 wrote:
Breadman wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:I'll agree with the last 2. But does anybody need to say niggardly really?

Its roots and derivation have absolutely nothing to do with the "N" word, so why shouldn't it be used?

It's like thinking you can't say "puff of smoke" because it might offend gay people.

It wouldn't offend me, but I just think if some people are offended by it why bother using it? Surely nobody's going to miss saying it.

So you basically condone ignorance rather than challenge it? Following this logic we should make homosexual acts illegal because they offend some people.

45I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 11:45

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:

Clinical depression is a completely different (and easily diagnosed) condition, which sees long-term changes to the brain's chemistry and has a massively negative effect on the neural pathways in the brain and isn't dependent on short-term stimulus, like when your bet on the match goes down, it's a state of "being", not mood.

How does a doctor see changes in your brain's chemistry during a 15 minute slot?

I guy who works for me, I'll call him Bryan, is currently off with "depression" because his wife left him taking the kids. He rang in to say he had depression, I said "bullshit, there's no such thing" and told him if he didn't get a doctors note I would sack him. Literally 24 hours later he had a doctor's note confirming he had depression.

What a load of bollocks.

46I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 12:04

Bye...!

47I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 12:07

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So, in short, there's no proof that depression exists. It's simply a posh label for unhappy and an easy way for doctors to get rid of troublesome patients.

Bye!

48I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 12:27

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:So, in short, there's no proof that depression exists. It's simply a posh label for unhappy and an easy way for doctors to get rid of troublesome patients.

Bye!

Very insensitive and immature thing to say. I know your whole thing is to be controversial but someone that you know could be silently suffering from depression...

49I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 12:28

No, there's plenty of proof but I'm not prepared to sit here like one of the usual stooges you set up by playing devil's advocate, proposing your half-baked postulations and then sitting back, smirking as they try and argue with you.

And you then laugh at them from behind your keyboard, saying "Ha ha...this is soooo easy!"

We both know depression's real and whilst I'll generally play along with you for comic effect, I'm not doing it this time because this subject is a bit personal for me and it's starting to feel a bit like joking about it is in very bad taste.

Bye!

(Again.)

(That was all aimed at Nat, not Boggers by the way.)

50I'm With Alan Brazil - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm With Alan Brazil Thu Aug 14 2014, 12:36

She does the same topic about not believing in depression every few months, no idea if she's playing stupid just for effect to be honest. As you say, not worth taking the time over!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum