Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Next Labour leader

+10
Hipster_Nebula
sunlight
Norpig
Sluffy
MartinBWFC
xmiles
karlypants
Natasha Whittam
boltonbonce
Cajunboy
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 11]

121Next Labour leader - Page 7 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Sun Jan 12 2020, 16:17

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:Sorry guys, but as a non-Labour voter, I really can't see him as a PM. He's already showing that he's playing politics by trying to appease all stakeholders rather than committing, even generally, to a particular 'theme' that he would prefer to pursue, (unless I've missed something).
Of course he's playing politics - he wants to get elected.
And surely appealing to all stakeholders in order to reunite a divided and broken party is exactly what's needed in a leadership election Glos?

As for "themes" - well Boris had one theme and that will be past it's sell-by date before long leaving him with nothing but a fire fighting exercise.

Perhaps salvaging what's left of the Labour party is Sir Keir's "theme"?

122Next Labour leader - Page 7 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Sun Jan 12 2020, 17:03

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

wanderlust wrote:
gloswhite wrote:Sorry guys, but as a non-Labour voter, I really can't see him as a PM. He's already showing that he's playing politics by trying to appease all stakeholders rather than committing, even generally, to a particular 'theme' that he would prefer to pursue, (unless I've missed something).
Of course he's playing politics - he wants to get elected.
And surely appealing to all stakeholders in order to reunite a divided and broken party is exactly what's needed in a leadership election Glos?
Its this sort of approach that got them into the situation they are now in, as nobody knows what they are really getting. You cannot repair something that is hell-bent on ripping itself apart. He should be honest as that is the future he would be working for.

As for "themes" - well Boris had one theme and that will be past it's sell-by date before long leaving him with nothing but a fire fighting exercise.
It was a theme that is going to possibly change the fortunes of the country, both financially, and politically, for some years to come. It seems that the electorate wanted this issue sorted more than anything, and it was Boris who clearly saw this.

Perhaps salvaging what's left of the Labour party is Sir Keir's "theme"?
Perhaps he should be thinking of the wider issues rather than an out-of-favour political party that is trying to re-elect the same old dross it managed to lose the election with.
As I've said previously I prefer Lisa Nandy, but we all know the one we will get is the one selected by the faceless £25 raffle punters. What a way to appoint a possible Prime Minister.

123Next Labour leader - Page 7 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Sun Jan 12 2020, 17:26

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Most of the £25 raffle punters are Tories. Very Happy

124Next Labour leader - Page 7 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Sun Jan 12 2020, 17:54

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

It did cross my mind  Very Happy

125Next Labour leader - Page 7 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Sun Jan 12 2020, 18:05

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I prefer Lisa Nandy too and hope she can be the new leader after Sir Keir's term.

I can remember  young Keir when he used to deliver sacks of Nutty slack to my gran's.

She always used to treat  him to a slice of hovis when he called, he was so grateful despite

the lack of butter.

126Next Labour leader - Page 7 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Sun Jan 12 2020, 18:10

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Did he live in't hole in't road? Haven't heard the term 'Nutty Slack' for decades  Very Happy

127Next Labour leader - Page 7 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Sun Jan 12 2020, 18:12

I’m slightly put off by Starmer as, like Burnham, I’m not totally convinced he’s as genuinely left wing as he’s claiming to be. I could be way off though, need to see the leadership debates.

Last edited by T.R.O.Y on Sun Jan 12 2020, 18:15; edited 1 time in total

128Next Labour leader - Page 7 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Sun Jan 12 2020, 18:15

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

gloswhite wrote:Did he live in't hole in't road? Haven't heard the term 'Nutty Slack' for decades  Very Happy
No, in a large paper bag in a septic tank!!!!

129Next Labour leader - Page 7 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Sun Jan 12 2020, 18:15

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I believe the Labour Party has an outdated view of what a typical Labour supporter is, and what they want.
What do the Labourites on here think a modern Labour supporter is ?

130Next Labour leader - Page 7 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Sun Jan 12 2020, 18:27

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

gloswhite wrote:I believe the Labour Party has an outdated view of what a typical Labour supporter is, and what they want.
What do the Labourites on here think a modern Labour supporter is ?

I agree that too many of the candidates are playing to this stereotype. Only 14% of the population is working class and even if they all voted Labour it wouldn't be anywhere near enough to win a general election.

The reality is that most Labour voters live in cities and towns and voted remain. They are younger than Tory voters and more likely to be better educated.

As to what they want, I would guess better public services, fairer taxation and less inequality would be high priorities.

131Next Labour leader - Page 7 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Sun Jan 12 2020, 19:03

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

This comment surprised me:

They are younger than Tory voters and more likely to be better educated.

I know you like your stats, etc, but where did this one come from? I've not heard this (interpretation ?) before.

132Next Labour leader - Page 7 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Sun Jan 12 2020, 19:04

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Here we go, heading for the crowded middle ground again. Wear a dark suit and don't frighten the horses.
Thirteen years of Labour should have made the NHS Tory proof. They failed.
They can stick their middle ground up their arse.

133Next Labour leader - Page 7 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Sun Jan 12 2020, 19:12

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

An eight year old has just told me off for writing 'arse'. I'm sorry.

You just never know when they're looking over your shoulder. silent

134Next Labour leader - Page 7 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Sun Jan 12 2020, 19:18

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

T.R.O.Y wrote:I’m slightly put off by Starmer as, like Burnham, I’m not totally convinced he’s as genuinely left wing as he’s claiming to be. I could be way off though, need to see the leadership debates.

He used to be a Trotskyist did he not. He's attempting to bury his hard left past because he knows it's totally unpalatable to the electorate. 

He also spent the last few years campaigning for another EU ref, something else he will have to bury.

The hard left of the party hate him already.

Centrists might swing behind gobshite Phillips if starmer slips up.

135Next Labour leader - Page 7 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Sun Jan 12 2020, 19:23

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lots of Trots still in the party HN. Starmer looks the safe bet, but he won't do it without the left.

136Next Labour leader - Page 7 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Sun Jan 12 2020, 20:00

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

gloswhite wrote:This comment surprised me:

They are younger than Tory voters and more likely to be better educated.

I know you like your stats, etc, but where did this one come from? I've not heard this (interpretation ?) before.

Are you really surprised that Labour voters are younger than Tory voters glos?

Here is a link to yougov:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjD2uWp1_7mAhUCYsAKHXePCuYQFjABegQICRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fyougov.co.uk%2Ftopics%2Fpolitics%2Farticles-reports%2F2019%2F10%2F31%2F2019-general-election-demographics-dividing-britai&usg=AOvVaw1Wx0V8Pvo4yyWeDcFR4Gc1

137Next Labour leader - Page 7 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Mon Jan 13 2020, 00:00

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

From a demographic perspective, whilst it has always been the case that many people become more right wing as they get older and that people are living longer, the stats do imply that over the next few years or so the support for the Tories will have dwindled off due to "natural change".
In rough terms the Tories will lose 58% of half a million voters per annum going forward - roughly 300,000 per year whilst Labour will get a net gain in voters.

Interestingly, given the proportion of vote share the stats show that the Lib Dems have far and away the best educated fan base and across all age groups.

138Next Labour leader - Page 7 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Mon Jan 13 2020, 07:17

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Haha.

Yes they said that before the last election didn't they.

In case you haven't noticed. Labour are about to move themselves to the right, young voter apathy will likely return.

We were all young once, I was lib dem for most of my life because I wanted to "protest" the government.

We all grow up though.  I'm still socially liberal of course but all left wing parties are currently a disgrace.

139Next Labour leader - Page 7 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Mon Jan 13 2020, 12:04

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

140Next Labour leader - Page 7 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Mon Jan 13 2020, 14:10

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Thornberry and Lewis will go out in the first round.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum