Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How is the Tory government doing?

+16
Angry Dad
karlypants
wanderlust
okocha
xmiles
wessy
Norpig
sunlight
boltonbonce
finlaymcdanger
Ten Bobsworth
gloswhite
Sluffy
Cajunboy
BoltonTillIDie
Hip Priest
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 34 ... 50  Next

Go down  Message [Page 18 of 50]

341How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Wed Dec 09 2020, 14:54

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

True but they came with conditions though and the people voted for Brexit not to have those conditions anymore.

You were one of them don't forget!

You WON the referendum, this is a consequence of what you voted for.

You helped make this bed, now we've all got to lay in it whether we want to or not.
Record stuck again? I'm going to have to bump all the Brexit threads if keep on libelling me. Your choice.

342How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Wed Dec 09 2020, 15:43

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

True but they came with conditions though and the people voted for Brexit not to have those conditions anymore.

You were one of them don't forget!

You WON the referendum, this is a consequence of what you voted for.

You helped make this bed, now we've all got to lay in it whether we want to or not.
Record stuck again? I'm going to have to bump all the Brexit threads if keep on libelling me. Your choice.

Libelling you????

Hahahahaha.

:rofl:

Allow me to 'bump' this what YOU wrote voluntarily and without even being asked or questioned about how you voted on Brexit!!!

"One of the hardest things to do is to admit you were conned and manipulated but I'm prepared to do it as I voted to Leave with the free trade deal I was promised in the referendum. After all it was going to be "the easiest in human history" to negotiate especially as "we hold all the cards". Nobody is prepared to consider that they have been manipulated, believed lies they were told and nobody likes being taken for a mug which is presumably why the conversation has been closed down and rather than manning up, many leavers are now trying to say no deal is what they voted for all along and that all leave voters voted for the same thing. We didn't".

http://www.wanderersways.com/forum/topic/88073-in-or-out-again/?do=findComment&comment=1934938

And don't give me the bullshit you aren't that poster, Norpig can confirm it was you.

Rolling Eyes

343How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Dec 11 2020, 10:00

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Boris Johnson has told people and businesses to prepare for the "strong possibility" we will not agree a post-Brexit trade deal with the EU, and end up trading on "Australian" terms.
But Malcolm Turnbull, the former Australian prime minister, said there was no trade deal between his country and the bloc....

344How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Dec 11 2020, 13:01

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:Boris Johnson has told people and businesses to prepare for the "strong possibility" we will not agree a post-Brexit trade deal with the EU, and end up trading on "Australian" terms.
But Malcolm Turnbull, the former Australian prime minister, said there was no trade deal between his country and the bloc....
...and that there are lots of barriers. Does "Australian deal" sound better than "no deal" which is what he really means? I suppose it does to some.
Interesting perspective in the Spectator which suggest a no deal could actually make Starmer unelectable here.

345How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Dec 11 2020, 13:29

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Eo6QfWAW8AME94v?format=jpg&name=360x360

Daily Fail's guide to post-Brexit dining here.

YUM!

346How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Dec 11 2020, 14:14

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

wanderlust wrote:
...and that there are lots of barriers. Does "Australian deal" sound better than "no deal" which is what he really means? I suppose it does to some.
Interesting perspective in the Spectator which suggest a no deal could actually make Starmer unelectable here.

That Spectator article is pure brexiteer bullshit. His argument depends upon fantasies such as the "UK economy is going to be roaring ahead by the spring of 2021" and "the great rebound boom". Then there is "UK consumers switch from overseas to domestic produce ... out of patriotic endeavour, particularly if Johnson talks up a 'buy British' campaign".

347How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Dec 11 2020, 14:49

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Does anyone seriously consider Brie a British staple? It's an insult to real cheese.

348How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Dec 11 2020, 14:53

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Does anyone seriously consider Brie a British staple? It's an insult to real cheese.
More a nice to have, especially if it's been in the fridge for a month building up the ammonia - but there are a couple of British "bries" e.g Baron Bigod and one whose name eludes me but I reckon it begins with L. Both are very expensive TBH.

349How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Dec 11 2020, 14:56

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:

That Spectator article is pure brexiteer bullshit. His argument depends upon fantasies such as the "UK economy is going to be roaring ahead by the spring of 2021" and "the great rebound boom". Then there is "UK consumers switch from overseas to domestic produce ... out of patriotic endeavour, particularly if Johnson talks up a 'buy British' campaign".

I know but it's an interesting thought in trying to predict the media fallout. Just like Trump supporters believing the election was rigged, there will be plenty of Brits who will choose to believe this shit and the media will only fuel it.

350How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Dec 11 2020, 14:56

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:
More a nice to have, especially if it's been in the fridge for a month building up the ammonia - but there are a couple of British "bries" e.g Baron Bigod and one whose name eludes me but I reckon it begins with L. Both are very expensive TBH.
Bloody foreigners. Very Happy

351How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Dec 11 2020, 15:21

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I was reading about wine merchants trying to stock up but having trouble at the ports as everyone is apparently trying to do it and there are already trucks queuing. Shouldn't be too problematic as there are plenty of wines in Oz, NZ, SA and S America. Never heard back from Bob re how he got on with the Portuguese merchant I put him on to - prices are so low that and extra 15% or whatever won't be too punitive. Like a nice Douro red TBF.

352How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Mon Dec 14 2020, 13:29

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Interesting YouGov poll released today says that 66% of Brits want a deal with the EU - and only 15% want no-deal, the rest being don't knows.
With Boris having stated that the chances of leaving without a deal were "a million to one" when he announced his "oven-ready" deal only a year ago (how we laughed!), he may be facing issues from within his own party - who are also two-thirds in favour of a deal.
However the big Tory party funders, many of whom have global incomes and lifestyles tend to favour no deal and some observers are saying that the funders will "trump" party members and the broader public when it comes to driving the Tory party - and it increasingly looks like Sainsbury, Murdoch et al have won.

To pull a deal out of the bag at this late stage would require some compromise from Boris which could be interpreted as a shit deal or a ready-made excuse not to do it, depending on your viewpoint.

353How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Mon Dec 14 2020, 13:40

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Sainsbury opposed brexit and put a lot of money into opposing it so I think you have the wrong man wl.

354How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Mon Dec 14 2020, 14:36

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:Sainsbury opposed brexit and put a lot of money into opposing it so I think you have the wrong man wl.
My mistake XM - must have had a senior moment Smile
Why would a supermarket tycoon want Brexit anyway?
Losing the plot today. Shocked

355How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Mon Dec 14 2020, 17:15

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:The Spectator  argues that Boris would be better off leaving the EU with no deal rather than a bad deal. Makes some valid points.
As the "negotiations" drag on even if it's just for show, it seems more and more analysts and political commentators of all colours are agreeing with this e.g. this article in the Independent - no deal may indeed be better than a shit deal (to paraphrase Theresa May)
It's a concept I'm struggling with TBH. We surely have to have some agreement over intelligence sharing/national security don't we? And the impact on industry, supplies, employment and the economy in general is another big worry.
But we are where we are and from this position there is no chance the EU will make further concessions so I'm coming round to the idea that we should accept the low regulation/low tax free-for-all economy that the Toerags are planning.
I reckon there will be a devastating impact on working and middle class people whatever happens, and although the government will be too skint to prop up our businesses (the "level playing field" sticking point) other than offering further tax breaks (which will put us deeper into the financial mire) we are out of the Single Market either way and that was the goose that laid the golden egg. It will then be up to the British people to try to reinstate our rights - all over again.
Prior to the 2016 referendum I asked "what is there to be gained by leaving the EU?" - and got no response. Now I'm asking myself "what is there to be gained by not making a clean break and finally exposing Brexit for what it really is?"

356How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Wed Dec 16 2020, 10:26

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Just had to forward this article for those of you who might be interested, as it pretty much encapsulates my own views on the situation.

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/tories-duty-speak-out-calamitous-brexit-793294

357How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Wed Dec 16 2020, 11:12

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Sadly brexiteers will never read it as they find facts difficult to deal with. They are much happier with their ignorant prejudices.

Research published in last week's Sunday Times shows that hard core brexiteers are just doubling down on their misguided beliefs rather than face reality. You can lead a horse to water ...

358How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Wed Dec 16 2020, 17:00

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:Sadly brexiteers will never read it as they find facts difficult to deal with. They are much happier with their ignorant prejudices.
I'm not so sure. Even that pinnacle of journalism Conservative Woman Smile is getting very twitchy about Boris and two thirds of Tories want a deal with the EU.
Unfortunately the only deal possible at this stage is nothing like the one they were promised so even if a deal is struck they won't be happy with it - they want Single Market terms without Single Market conditions - and Boris will be getting his marching orders at the first available opportunity open to them.
Question is how much damage to the country will he and Sunak do before they are ousted.

359How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Wed Dec 16 2020, 18:56

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Here's a frightening thought:-who would relace Boris as PM if the Tories did oust him?

Just as no one felt Corbyn was fit to govern, so there is no obvious Tory from the cabinet or the rank and file that would be judged acceptable.

The only benefit from the calamities that have befallen Boris during his tenure is that his perennial smirk has gone into hibernation....

360How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Wed Dec 16 2020, 22:27

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:Here's a frightening thought:-who would relace Boris as PM if the Tories did oust him?

Just as no one felt Corbyn was fit to govern, so there is no obvious Tory from the cabinet or the rank and file that would be judged acceptable.

The only benefit from the calamities that have befallen Boris during his tenure is that his perennial smirk has gone into hibernation....
I think they'd go for Sunak. He's been throwing our money around like Father Christmas on ecstasy winning the lottery and a lot of people seem to think that he knows what he's doing. Very few folk know about his affluent gazillionaire background and rank and file Tories would see appointing someone of East African Asian background as evidence of their progress. 
However whilst they know what they don't like, they are not so sure about what they do like. 
From what I can gather from the locals, being a Tory is a bit like believing in a blue Utopia - a wonderful world seeped in nostalgic overtones where our "values" ensure everybody has an equal chance in a competitive yet charitable society.

::rules::
(Bloke telling me about it in the pub last year)

Last edited by wanderlust on Wed Dec 16 2020, 22:37; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 18 of 50]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 34 ... 50  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum