Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How is the Tory government doing?

+16
Angry Dad
karlypants
wanderlust
okocha
xmiles
wessy
Norpig
sunlight
boltonbonce
finlaymcdanger
Ten Bobsworth
gloswhite
Sluffy
Cajunboy
BoltonTillIDie
Hip Priest
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 37 ... 50  Next

Go down  Message [Page 24 of 50]

461How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Thu Jan 28 2021, 07:55

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:Can't disagree with your last comment, however look back over the last year and see how many people interpreted the rules always to their benefit. Look how much traffic is on the road now. It seems that a very high percentage of our country are so important front-liners that they can ignore most things, and just carry on, regardless of what they are advised. It would also seem that if we are locked up and told to stay in, and awful of the population will suffer from some form of mental illness. Its down to the individual at the end of the day, and we all know the rules will be broken in some form or another.
We have some idiots in this country but the blame lies squarely at the government’s door as...
They gave. “Advice” instead of laying down the law - there should have been no room for the interpretation you mention 
They changed that “advice” every other day so that it became clear as mud. They’re still changing it.
They set really bad examples personally eg Boris bragging about shaking hands with Covid patients on the ward
They were clearly told what needed to be done by the scientists, Starmer and other countries experience but chose to ignore best practice- and still it goes on.
Most incompetent government in modern times by a mile. Unfortunately in this case incompetence has led to genocide.

462How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Thu Jan 28 2021, 10:10

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

463How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Thu Jan 28 2021, 10:51

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

wanderlust wrote:
We have some idiots in this country but the blame lies squarely at the government’s door as...
They gave. “Advice” instead of laying down the law - there should have been no room for the interpretation you mention 
They changed that “advice” every other day so that it became clear as mud. They’re still changing it.
They set really bad examples personally eg Boris bragging about shaking hands with Covid patients on the ward
They were clearly told what needed to be done by the scientists, Starmer and other countries experience but chose to ignore best practice- and still it goes on.
Most incompetent government in modern times by a mile. Unfortunately in this case incompetence has led to genocide.
Looking at the time this was posted, I'm assuming you had not been up long, which is why your rant is very much OTT.  Most of what you say is right but genocide ? Get real.

464How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Thu Jan 28 2021, 14:12

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:
Looking at the time this was posted, I'm assuming you had not been up long, which is why your rant is very much OTT.  Most of what you say is right but genocide ? Get real.
Apologies Glos - what is the correct terminology for being responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands of people then?
I don't consider it OTT - I just think that Britain has a warped sense of "shockability" as discussed in this recent article by Polly Toynbee who writes:

"....still there’s something missing, in a national sense of the true horror that has descended on us. A plane crash, an earthquake, wildfires, the twin towers falling – those shockingly visual news events immediately clutch the heart. These pandemic deaths outpace those from the blitz and flying bombs (estimated at 61,000 deaths), yet somehow, the ONS daily tolling the bell for our fast-rising dear departed hasn’t shaken the country enough"

I guess it would take losing some our your own to start to feel the outrage that those who already have feel.

465How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Thu Jan 28 2021, 15:19

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

It's not hard, all people had/have to do are to social distance, keep in your bubble, wear a mask in enclosed spaces and wash your hands.  And if you do test positive for it or are contacted by Track and Trace that you've been in close contact with someone, then self isolate for the required time.

Hardly asking a lot really is it?

So whose fault is it that people don't do those things, the government or those vast majority of people who don't give a fuck?

Anybody really believe the police (or even the army) could enforce a 'hard' lockdown, there are simply not enough of them and nowhere to lock away even the most persistent of offenders?

This is what the police have to face from the 'great British public' whose clearly in some peoples view aren't the problem at all as it is all the governments fault!!!

Covid-19: Third of police officers 'threatened with deliberate infection'

One in three police officers in England and Wales has been threatened by someone they believed had Covid-19, a survey suggests.

A poll of rank-and-file officers by the Police Federation found 32% said someone they thought to be infected had threatened to breathe or cough on them.

Some 21% of officers said a suspected infected person tried to spit at them.

It is the largest survey published of frontline officers' experiences of policing the pandemic.

The Demand, Capacity and Welfare Survey was carried out between 5 October and 23 November last year, with about one in 10 rank-and-file officers responding.

Just over half of officers, 55%, said they had been the victim of an unarmed physical attack in the past year, while 16% said they had suffered injuries requiring medical attention.

While only 3% of officers had tested positive for Covid-19, 26% believed they had had the virus.

'Weaponising of the virus'

Chairman of the Police Federation of England and Wales John Apter said the survey showed the "huge pressure" officers were under policing the pandemic and the negative impact this was having on their welfare.

He added: "The increasing level of violence they face, especially involving the weaponising of the virus, is a sad indictment of the society we live in."

A total of 12,471 officers provided useable responses to the survey, from a total Police Federation membership of more than 120,000 from the rank of constable to chief inspector.

On Tuesday the Metropolitan Police Service, the biggest force in the UK, said five officers had died with Covid-19 in the past two weeks.

Mr Apter is among several police leaders pushing the government for frontline officers to get priority access to Covid-19 vaccines.

He said: "They must be given all the protection they need to protect themselves and this includes being prioritised for the Covid vaccine. We have had enough of the warm words - we now need action."

Last week, Home Secretary Priti Patel said ministers were working to ensure police and other frontline workers were moved up the priority list for vaccination.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55832603

Genocide

noun
the deliberate killing of a large number of people from a particular nation or ethnic group with the aim of destroying that nation or group.

And some people really believe this is what the governments plans have been all along???

Rolling Eyes

466How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Thu Jan 28 2021, 16:10

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The problem with Boris is he's too indecisive and has failed to take the hard decisions when needed. We didn't lockdown early enough and people coming in and out of the country hasn't been limited enough.

Add the Christmas relaxation of the rules and it shows he's not a true leader, he's more worried about upsetting people and not being seen as a popular leader.

467How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Thu Jan 28 2021, 17:55

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:The problem with Boris is he's too indecisive and has failed to take the hard decisions when needed. We didn't lockdown early enough and people coming in and out of the country hasn't been limited enough.

Add the Christmas relaxation of the rules and it shows he's not a true leader, he's more worried about upsetting people and not being seen as a popular leader.

If you look at other democratic country's (not the likes of China) that have implemented harder lockdowns than us the people have protested and even rioted as has happened just a few days ago in The Netherlands and have done in places as France, Italy and even Germany.

The majority of the lunatics that stormed the Capitol in the USA are all associated with groups that either don't believe Covid is real or that it is all some Deep State plot to control the world or some other QAnon type bollocks.

Even country's with these hard lockdown have seen second and third waves hit them because people simply won't stick to the rules.

At the end of the day governments can only govern by public consent, meaning if enough people don't want to lockdown, keep to their own bubbles, self isolate, wear a mask (just come back from M&S where one bloke refused to wear a mask and just walked passed the security bloke on the door!), social distance, etc, then there isn't much anyone can do about it - you can't lock everyone up can you?

I'm not sticking up for the government and they have got things wrong but the simple truth is that they DID tell us right from the start how to stop this thing from spreading any further and many people just didn't give a fuck and I see plenty daily who still don't.

That unfortunately that is the reality of the society we live in.

We have to take responsibility for our own actions and simply can't blame the government of the day for everything we don't like or agree with.

Millions of individuals are the ones that have spread Covid in the community because they haven't bothered to follow a few simple rules.

Simple as that really.

468How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Thu Jan 28 2021, 20:59

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Not only is Johnson doing political campaigning against independence during the pandemic, he is breaking travel restrictions to do so, breaking social distancing rules, didnt get tested before he came up to Scotland, and is giving a slap in the face to everybody who has made so many sacrifices to get us out of the mess he has created! You have to lead by example!

Last edited by okocha on Thu Jan 28 2021, 22:20; edited 1 time in total

469How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Thu Jan 28 2021, 21:06

Recognising the many government failures while also accepting a minority haven’t followed the rules is not a difficult position to take. I think any sensible person should be able to see and accept that. Entirely blaming one or the other is ridiculous.

470How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Thu Jan 28 2021, 22:31

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

T.R.O.Y. wrote:Recognising the many government failures while also accepting a minority haven’t followed the rules is not a difficult position to take. I think any sensible person should be able to see and accept that. Entirely blaming one or the other is ridiculous.

I assume that's aimed at me.

A MINORITY haven't followed the rules... a MINORITY???

I don't know of a single person, including myself, who have followed the rules to the letter from day one.

Of course my 'bending' the rules a bit might only me very minor, I classed myself as a delivery driver in order to take some stuff my daughter needed from my house to hers a few miles away during the first lockdown but although I didn't get out of the car from my door to hers (and hers to mine) and we social distance when I handed her stuff over, it was still strictly speaking wrong to have done so - let me put it this way, I wouldn't dared to have done it if I was a Chinese bloke in China with their harsh treatment to anyone who disobeys.

So where does these types of bending the rules a little bit become full breaking of them, university students enjoying freshers party's because they know Covid is harmless to them, someone having the family and friends round to celebrate their fortieth, hundreds paying their last respects to someone they cared for at their funeral?

Abuse is rife.  Every day the length and breath of the country you can read about people being caught and fined for deliberately flouting simple Covid rules.

As for the government - any government would have given the same simple set of rules, social distance, stay in bubble, wash hands, wear masks in enclosed spaces - do you think people would follow these rules if they had a Labour government rather than a Conservative one???

Of course they wouldn't, they would do what they wanted no matter what political party was in charge.

The government could have done better of course - all the world's governments could have done better too!  Nobody had any experience of a worldwide pandemic in modern times.  None were prepared for it.  None knew all the answers to it.  It was trial and error, some decisions were the right ones others were the wrong ones.  

But the bottom line is the government DID give the right advise to limit the spread of the virus and the simple fact is that the majority of people DIDN'T follow them.

Let me give you just one fact to demonstrate why it is the people who spread the virus and not the government...

Only 18% of people self-isolate after developing coronavirus symptoms, UK study finds.  Research also shows just 11% of people in contact with those testing positive stay at home for 14 days.

Less than one-fifth of people in the UK who develop coronavirus symptoms are following the rules and self-isolating at home, a major new study indicates.

Research led by King’s College London showed most people intended to obey the guidelines and stay at home for 14 days – 70 per cent of those without symptoms said they would be willing to do so.

However, only 18 per cent of people who developed symptoms between March and August said they had actually self-isolated to stop the spread of the virus.

And in a worrying sign for the government’s contact-tracing operation, only 11 per cent of those in contact with someone testing positive for Covid-19 said they had stayed at home for two weeks.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-self-isolation-uk-rules-symptoms-police-fines-b594240.html

So 4 in every 5 people who believe they may well have Coronavirus and have been told to isolate DIDN'T and 9 out of 10 people in the same household and who should have isolated as well DIDN'T EITHER!!!

How the fuck is that the governments fault then that a huge percentage of those  people couldn't be arsed to follow the rules and spread the virus on to many others???

People spread the virus not governments and if people followed the simple rules in the first place things wouldn't have got so bad as they have and less people would have died.

It is as simple as that.

471How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jan 29 2021, 09:30

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Sluffy wrote:

I don't know of a single person, including myself, who have followed the rules to the letter from day one.

Of course my 'bending' the rules a bit might only me very minor, I classed myself as a delivery driver in order to take some stuff my daughter needed from my house to hers a few miles away during the first lockdown but although I didn't get out of the car from my door to hers (and hers to mine) and we social distance when I handed her stuff over, it was still strictly speaking wrong to have done so - let me put it this way, I wouldn't dared to have done it if I was a Chinese bloke in China with their harsh treatment to anyone who disobeys.

So where does these types of bending the rules a little bit become full breaking of them, university students enjoying freshers party's because they know Covid is harmless to them, someone having the family and friends round to celebrate their fortieth, hundreds paying their last respects to someone they cared for at their funeral?

Abuse is rife.  Every day the length and breath of the country you can read about people being caught and fined for deliberately flouting simple Covid rules.

As for the government - any government would have given the same simple set of rules, social distance, stay in bubble, wash hands, wear masks in enclosed spaces - do you think people would follow these rules if they had a Labour government rather than a Conservative one???

Of course they wouldn't, they would do what they wanted no matter what political party was in charge.

The government could have done better of course - all the world's governments could have done better too!  Nobody had any experience of a worldwide pandemic in modern times.  None were prepared for it.  None knew all the answers to it.  It was trial and error, some decisions were the right ones others were the wrong ones.  

But the bottom line is the government DID give the right advise to limit the spread of the virus and the simple fact is that the majority of people DIDN'T follow them.

Let me give you just one fact to demonstrate why it is the people who spread the virus and not the government...

Only 18% of people self-isolate after developing coronavirus symptoms, UK study finds.  Research also shows just 11% of people in contact with those testing positive stay at home for 14 days.

Less than one-fifth of people in the UK who develop coronavirus symptoms are following the rules and self-isolating at home, a major new study indicates.

Research led by King’s College London showed most people intended to obey the guidelines and stay at home for 14 days – 70 per cent of those without symptoms said they would be willing to do so.

However, only 18 per cent of people who developed symptoms between March and August said they had actually self-isolated to stop the spread of the virus.

And in a worrying sign for the government’s contact-tracing operation, only 11 per cent of those in contact with someone testing positive for Covid-19 said they had stayed at home for two weeks.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-self-isolation-uk-rules-symptoms-police-fines-b594240.html

So 4 in every 5 people who believe they may well have Coronavirus and have been told to isolate DIDN'T and 9 out of 10 people in the same household and who should have isolated as well DIDN'T EITHER!!!

How the fuck is that the governments fault then that a huge percentage of those  people couldn't be arsed to follow the rules and spread the virus on to many others???

People spread the virus not governments and if people followed the simple rules in the first place things wouldn't have got so bad as they have and less people would have died.

It is as simple as that.
Perfectly put Sluffy.

472How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jan 29 2021, 11:23

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Don't underestimate the damage done to the "message" by aides and ministers, including Boris, who flouted their own rules. (Trump's casual dismissal of the dangers of Covid didn't help either!) 

Governments have to lead by example at all times, and I'm afraid ours has fallen a long way short of any standards of behaviour that would reinforce its belatedly-announced policies for an understandably sceptical public, so used to the lies and denials of politicians.

It's so noticeable that Jacinda Ardern's strict but timely and caring decisions have been met with virtually no resistance in NZ. Behind her pronouncements, there is a clear affection for her people which is reciprocated. Compliance naturally follows.

473How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jan 29 2021, 11:49

It was aimed at both sides to be honest, calling the governments failure a genocide is unhelpful and undermines the actual crime of genocide. But suggesting that it's as simple as people following government rules is incredibly naive and i don't actually think you or Glos believe that.

474How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jan 29 2021, 12:01

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:It's so noticeable that Jacinda Ardern's strict but timely and caring decisions have been met with virtually no resistance in NZ. Behind her pronouncements, there is a clear affection for her people which is reciprocated. Compliance naturally follows.

That's a ridiculous comparison.

New Zealand is slightly larger than the UK, but only has a 5 million population, compared to the UK's 65 million.

475How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jan 29 2021, 12:15

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I knew someone would bring up the fact that NZ has a less dense population, completely ignoring the points I made about how to manage messaging successfully, no matter what size the population. 

Read posts more carefully before challenging them, or you may get thought of as part of a dense population Smile

476How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jan 29 2021, 12:28

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Sluffy wrote:

It is as simple as that.

If it really is "as simple as that" why does the UK have the highest covid deaths per capita?

https://www.scotsman.com/health/coronavirus/uk-officially-has-highest-coronavirus-death-rate-capita-world-3105186

477How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jan 29 2021, 12:31

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

T.R.O.Y. wrote:It was aimed at both sides to be honest, calling the governments failure a genocide is unhelpful and undermines the actual crime of genocide. But suggesting that it's as simple as people following government rules is incredibly naive and i don't actually think you or Glos believe that.

Believe whatever you want.

Simple fact is however is that that PEOPLE transmit the virous.

Governments (all of them in the world) have given instructions on how NOT TO.

The one government in the world that 'control's it's people is China.

China is more or less on top of the control of the spread of the virus.

All other governments (even Russia) don't control their people to anything like as draconianly as China does and consequently infections have been widespread and they have all gone through various lockdowns and second and third wave cycles.

If you are arguing that the government in this country and all other country's of the world (and don't quote me New Zealand because it is in a travel zone cul-de-sac naturally isolated from the rest of the world anyway and has locked it's boarders since this thing started) have failed in controlling the spread then the answer on how to control it can only be by a China style of government.

Put simple people in every country of the world do what they want unless they are too scared to do so. The Chinese people are more afraid of their own government than anything else and that's why lockdown and the 'rules' were/and are strictly obeyed there.

Yet again you are just contriving an argument for the sake of it.

Unless of course you believe the model of how China's government control's it's people should be the one the rest of the world should adopt.

And we all know that isn't your point.

478How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jan 29 2021, 12:40

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

xmiles wrote:If it really is "as simple as that" why does the UK have the highest covid deaths per capita?

https://www.scotsman.com/health/coronavirus/uk-officially-has-highest-coronavirus-death-rate-capita-world-3105186

Sluffy wrote:The government could have done better of course - all the world's governments could have done better too!  Nobody had any experience of a worldwide pandemic in modern times.  None were prepared for it.  None knew all the answers to it.  It was trial and error, some decisions were the right ones others were the wrong ones.  

479How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jan 29 2021, 12:43

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

TROY's words have been entirely reasonable and controlled.

480How is the Tory government doing? - Page 24 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jan 29 2021, 12:48

If you know it isn't my point, why waste an entire post arguing against it? 

People spread the virus - yes, of course they do I've never said otherwise.

The government control the laws in which people operate. Example, deciding whether schools are open, if we should go back to offices or when restaurants are allowed to open.

Their decision making on the latter has been demonstrably poor, too slow to lockdown and too quick to return.

Your argument that if people simply followed government rules is naive to real world situations and far too simplistic.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 24 of 50]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 37 ... 50  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum